Rings and bases

Jscrapmetal

I have a Sendero in 300 Win Mag and a Zeiss 6-24x56. What's the best rail and rings for the money. Have nice gun and scope all I need is to mount the scope. Not trying to break the bank but do not want cheap either. Thanks for the help.

I have a similar setup and went with the Talley steel bases and fixed rings. High quality for sure. The scope has 100 MOA of adjustment so I didn't think I'd need a canted rail to shoot at longer ranges. I think for rings and bases it was around $120 or so. I probably wouldn't get a picatinny rail mount for short range, but if you ever want to shoot past 1000 a 20 MOA rail would come in handy. The drawback is that it makes it harder to reach into the action. If you want a rail the Talleys are nice. EGW are cheaper and still decent quality but I prefer the Talleys for the nicely rounded corners. Going up in cost you can get a rail from Nightforce, Badger, Seekins or Near. For a rail or 2 piece weaver mount there are a few good rings available: Burris Tactical, TPS TSR, Vortex, Leupold Mark 4, Nightforce. I recently put some TPS super low 30mm rings on a Remington rifle with a Talley 20 MOA rail and it fits nicely with a 50mm objective. That setup was also around $120.

Thanks for the help guys. I have one more question what's the difference between steel and aluminum rail? Pros cons or what?
If weight is not an issue, I strongly prefer steel rails. I've seen many cases where rings damaged aluminum rails under recoil. That's usually because the person who installed the rings made a mistake. Nevertheless, mistakes can happen with anyone. Steel rails are pretty much bullet proof. In either case, I recommend properly bedding the rail to the receiver, unless your rifle has a single radius of curvature for both front and rear mounting positions, like on a Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.