MYTH or FACT

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
There was a story about an Outlaw shooting a Deputy while escaping having a shotgun loaded with DIMES!
Is it possible to load a shotgun shell with coins and have the coins travel through a barrel and hit something close?
I have shot a .410 single shot break open shotgun by taking the lead shot out and putting an arrow in the barrel. Had a flaming arrow fly out of the barrel. Was tried by the old Poachers 50 years ago.
Anyone hear or do something odd or unsafe like this?
Just saw a movie on tv where a shotgun was used with coins so I remembered the 410. & arrow.

Yes. I've loaded dimes in a smooth bore 12ga. Accuracy is "all bets are off" at about 15ft. But I sure wouldn't want to be inside that. I'll see if U can find the pics of the motorcycle helmets, etc we shot with them. "Best two dollars I ever spent....) I believe was the mythical quote from Billy

Loaded up popping corn kernels in 12 gage shell to shoot bear that was getting into garbage can, never got to try it , bear never came back.
Was going to ask the bear if he wanted some popcorn ,right before I pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Oh heck, my mentor used to make me reload all his trap loads.

Out of boredom every once in a while I'd fill one up with spent primers, or powdered chocolate milk mix.

The primers would whistle, and hiss going downrange, the chocolate milk mix was just kinda of a nothing burger.

Good for a laugh on the shooting line.

Full disclosure: I never fessed up.

Sounds like you have one answer Len. I know of a teenager that took a single shot bolt action .22 LR, pulled the bullet out of a case, put the cartridge in the gun. Then proceeded to pour Red Dot down the barrel and topped it off with either #8 or 9 shot. Last thing he ever did was pull the trigger. It put the bolt thru his eye on into his head. Sad day for family.

Sounds like you have one answer Len. I know of a teenager that took a single shot bolt action .22 LR, pulled the bullet out of a case, put the cartridge in the gun. Then proceeded to pour Red Dot down the barrel and topped it off with either #8 or 9 shot. Last thing he ever did was pull the trigger. It put the bolt thru his eye on into his head. Sad day for family.
That once again prove stupidity abounds!
I witnessed 2 guys pour rock salt down the barrel of a loaded 12 guage single barrel,I ran far away and when it went off the barrel split into 3 pieces and injured both guys.
If I want rock salt loads I load them in the shells and give them a good crimp.Yep stupidity abounds.
Never tried the dime thing

Recent Posts