Mystery Ranch Pintler or ?

Good taste my friend @palerider3
I love my Stone Glacier X Curve, nothing that I've seen holds the weight as close to the spine.
It makes for a stable load that won't pull out and strain the middle of your back, or shift when crawling over blow down.
Here's a few pics with my entire boned out Muley loaded in the dry cell bag.
20181108_102628.jpg

20181108_103336.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Everyone in our elk hunting group uses some flavor of Eberlestock pack. We've had great luck with all of the packs. Eberlestock's motto is: "Go in light, come out heavy!" And we do.
Their motto should be go in heavy come out heavier! Lol - I had a few of their packs including the M5 team elk and they are stupid heavy packs empty. Quality is awesome, and I love their integrated rifle scabbards, but they need to lose 4 or 5 lbs.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20190815-160942.png
Well Fellas, Thank you for all of the recommendations and insight to the different packs. I ended up ordering the MR Pintler from Scheels. I had seen their sale yesterday and decided to go for it. Every year I wait till the last minute to buy some things and then I cant find what I want in stock. I also tossed around the idea of waiting for one to pop up in the classifieds but I always seam to be a day late and a dollar short on the good classified deals. I also wanted to get a pack so I can get it incorporated into my training regimen and get it broke in to me, or is it me broke in to it? The MR Selway pack that was mentioned from Optics Planet was also a nice deal for a new pack at $300. I decided on the Pintler over the Selway because the Pintler looks to be a built out of heavier duty material, ...but at a cost of some ounces. I think it will be the right size daypack + meat hauler for me. This pack is also mentioned in just about every thread about hunting packs so either it is a good pack or MR has good advertising or maybe both? Last, at $356 from Scheels it was still affordable. Thanks again
I have a Pintler as well as my KUIU and they are both great. Here is a deer on my Pintler last year. A tip on cleaning them, use hydrogen peroxide. The blood comes right out.

You should check out the stone glacier 6900 compresses down nicely ,the lid does not have to be installed in bivy mode I run with mine a lot this way. I have used badlands (stay away, don't stand behind there product) they don' carry weight well.KUIU used them for several years really liked them my only complaint was that I would have issues with the hip belt under heavy loads i.e..100# plus. So I gave the Stone Glacier a try, mind you you nothing is comfortable at 100# plus but the Stone Glacier is the best I have used (heaviest load 126#) the load shelve that is incorporated into this pack is well thought out, only unfavorable thing price

I decided to try out the MR Sawtooth 45 for this year because my dad also drew an elk tag with me and I wanted to go with something that would be comfortable in the event I have to haul out 2 elk, he's getting up there in age and also has a very bad knee. Some of the reviews I read said even tho the MR packs were heavier, they more comfortable and their new guide light mt frame is supposed to be even more comfortable than the regular guide light frame. Would have loved to try out an exo or initial ascent but price was a factor and I just needed something to say hunt with, don't need something capable of overnight hunts just yet.

I ordered the MR Pintler yesterday. I am pretty excited about it since I'm coming from a surplus MOLLE II ruck sack & a smaller frame less day pack... until last night I came across a few posts talking about the new Sawtooth 45 and the new Guide Light MT frame. Now I'm second guessing my decision. Go figure.

I ordered the MR Pintler yesterday. I am pretty excited about it since I'm coming from a surplus MOLLE II ruck sack & a smaller frame less day pack... until last night I came across a few posts talking about the new Sawtooth 45 and the new Guide Light MT frame. Now I'm second guessing my decision. Go figure.
You will love the that pack. I bought one last year and have already carried 2 deer on it.

A tip on packing out game...
Maybe don't carry them out whole!:D

Amen - I am a gutless method guy. I can't even remember the last time I gutted an animal, let alone hauled one out whole! Lol If it is being packed out on my back, you can bet its getting boned out as well.

Even if I shoot something off the side of the road, I am going the gutless route. Doesn't take any more time than gutting them.

Last edited:
Purchased a Eberlestock F1 Main Frame with Bat Wings (2). Been loading it with Day Pack in mind only. Seem to have plenty of room. Water Bladder and gear in Bat wings. Also bought Rifle scabbard. Been conditioning with this set up and so far I like what I have. I really like all the Molly's so you can arrange your pack in different ways.

The Pintler is an awesome pack all around. I did a ton of research on backpacks before my New Mexico elk hunt and ultimately decided to go with this pack. It worked flawlessly. It was super comfortable and easily held all the gear I needed. When I ended up getting my bull, I used the Pintler to carry out the meat and the antlers, and I didn't have an issue. Here's a great review on it too:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts