My thoughts for an Ultimate Long Range Carry Rig!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by KPK, Mar 22, 2011.

1. KPK

KPK Well-Known Member

What do you guys think. I've started collecting parts for a custom carry/hunting/long range rig and thought I would share. If I need direction please direct me!

Here's the list:

Caliber: 7mm SAUM - 180 Berger Hybrids, Accubonds, etc.
    Action: Surgeon RSR Magnum WSM
    Barrel: Brux #5 Fluted to finish at 26" 1:9 Twist
    Stock: McMillan A3 Sporter more than likely standard fill (school me? Edge too light?)
    Bottom Metal: Surgeon DBM, Badger DBM, or Badger Floor Plate?
    Trigger: Jewell

I'm figuring around 10lbs w/o optics. Is this a good assumption?

What do you think? Need any changes?

2. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

You should be pretty close. Here is my setup that I am building for myself when I get everyone's builds caught up.

Manners T2 stock w/ 90% shell
    R Bros Rogue Receiver
    20 MOA rail
    Broughton 5.75 contour w/ hvy fluting 26"
    DE brake
    DE cheekpiece
    Badger M5 DBM
    Jewell

All the parts on the scale with a NF in UL rings weighs 10.5lbs. This is with a unthreaded, unchambered 29" blank. So the finished weight with optics should be in the 10.25lb range I would guess or less. Will be chambered in 7 WSM. Built another one not to long ago very similar and it weighed 9.5lbs finished with a 4.5-14x50mm Luepy on it.

3. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

It depends on what animals your looking at taking and what you consider long range.

4. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

Good Point.....that's why I have a big 338 also!

5. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

My ultimate long range carry, is this, light because I do 3000+ vertical and what goes up must come down. Defiance 338 Norma, ABS w/saturn 26 " braked, Lonewolf, topped w/ 6-20x50 M4, 8 -12 oz. I shot 2-3 shoot groups today 1'', and 1 1/8'' @ 400 yrd. Yeah IT BUCKS ALITTLE:D

6. Good

Good Well-Known Member

sp6x6, what's your weight there? That Norma Mag sounds rad.:)

7. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Only thing I dont like is the SAUM why not WSM sounds alot like my 300WSM
    [​IMG]

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

TMR,

Yep, that A5 stock was green. She's beautiful on that 357 AM........ Thanks for the good deal......

My LRH carry is a 10# Remmy 700 w/a weaver tactical, tupperware stock in 338 RUM. And of course a brake. It shoots out of its league.....

I like your idea of a 7 WSM though.

9. Good

Good Well-Known Member

I like your idea. I recently picked up a 338RUM takeoff barrel from an XCR I plan to have a brake installed on. I'm hoping she'll shoot for a 7-8lb carry gun.

10. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

#8-12 oz. w/scopegun)

11. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Perfect!

12. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I agree the rem 700 338 RUM is excellent for a light carry rifle. I found one in stainless that had been trued, bedded, brake, 6-20x50 Leupold long range scope on it and basically new. A lady had it and got it in a divorce settlement. Her husband knew what he was doing improving the rifle making it a nice long range rig with one hole 100 yard groups. She thought $500 was a good deal for her so I hunted with it all over that year taking a bunch of stuff including a really nice 6x6 bull elk at near 800 yards. It is now one of my go to carry rifles but she wouldn't come down a penny off that $500 I had to give her.

13. D.Camilleri

D.Camilleri Well-Known Member

Taking advantage of a poor divorced woman that probably just got the gun to rub salt in the wounds of her ex, good job

14. KPK

KPK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys guys. As far as bottom metal. Do you think I should go DBM or BDL?