My sons' first hunt

jmcs

My sons\' first hunt

Reading the post on the 7yr old shooting long range has encouraged me to express my excitement at the upcoming school holidays in South Africa where my two sons aged 10 and 13 will be shooting their first animals - both boys will shoot Springbuck - a small antelope of about 30 Kilograms live weight. They will be shooting 85gr Sierra HPBT Gamekings at 3300 fps over distances of about 200 - 250 yards. I have a .243 with a 3 - 9 x 40 scope and have achieved 12mm groupings at 100m with the Sierras. I simply cannot wait to see these two guys in action and then hear their stories around the fire afterwards. For those interested we will be shooting in an area known as the Karoo near a small town called Willomore - you will do well to find it on a map.

Re: My sons\' first hunt

daves,

Sounds like a great Father/Son experience!

How is the meat from Springbok and the other African game animals?

Bill

daves,

Yep! You'll be making some life long memories. That's good for both you and your sons.

Keep us posted. Especially about your observations of their big eyes and rapid heart beats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Each animal has its own flavour and most are fantastic - very lean and low in cholesterol therefore very healthy. Springbuck is great! Some of the bigger animals like the Kudu and Wildebeest are wonderful eating and also make awesome dried meat products. If you ever get a chance you must hunt in Africa - the variety is mind blowing. I will give feedback in the middle of July and try post some pics. (How does one put pics on this site?)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.