My son's first hog!

dog caller

My son\'s first hog!

This don't exactly fit in the "Long Range" category but hey, hunting is hunting and I just had to show it off. My 10 year old showed me and my buddy up on Sunday by killing the biggest hog of the day. It also happened to be his first hog.

hunter_hog.jpg

This sow took 3 rounds out of his little 243 before she decided to quit. His first shot at about 100 yards was perfect. Just not enough gun. He wanted to "sort it out" all by himself so I was relegated to back him up. Turns out I didn't need to. He caught her again in some cover at about 30 yards and put another one right in the same spot. She went about 20 yards out into the stalks and turned around and stood facing us. I told him to put one in the chamber and get ready but I thought she was going to tip over. She turned broadside and he got worried that she was going to bolt and put one thru her spine. I think his smile tells the rest of the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am one proud dad right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Re: My son\'s first hog!

Excellent!!!

But your gonna have to stop letting him kill the big ones. His hog makes mine look pretty small!!!

Congrats to both of you.

Good goin'. The grin......priceless!!!

Looks like there's a little Spotted Poland China (for buffalobob, that's a genius dubious breed of hog) in that pigs family tree.

Wonder if a hog could survive an Idaho winter?

Thank you for sharing that wonderful picture. You are a very fortunate dad.
Congratulations to your young hunter!

Great story. The smile on your son's face says it all.

Congratulations!

JD338

Great going, he is ruined for sure now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hogs are up there with fire ants aournd here, but they are about the best learning tools and ballistic media on four legs. Either way, you all look like you had a great time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Roy,

Trust me when I say, you don't want hogs in your part of the woods. If they make it there, they will survive. THey are vary adaptable and will put on the fat to take care of the cold.

Thanks, guys! I am very proud of him!

BJ---I know what you mean. I got three hogs Sunday and they didn't weigh as much together as Hunter's did by herself. Hey, the kid ain't no dummy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I told him that he could take the first shot. He picked the same one that I would have picked.

buffalobob--- He wanted a caliber that he could comfortably down a deer with but that was light on recoil. We picked up the little 243 and it seems to fit the bill nicely. The loads are reduced significantly from full power but it does a number on coyotes and such. It was, however, a little light for pigs. As to the color, all of the pigs in that group were normal looking except for this one and one red one that my buddy took. All previous hunts (by me) to this area have not produced any colors or spots so I was suprised to see them.

lovedasnow-----Thanks! The boy definatly takes after his mother.

Roy---- I agree with what Mike/TX said. I never even saw a wild hog around here until about 2 years ago. Now we are covered up with them. They're kinda like cockroaches and coyotes...they can adapt to any environment and thrive.

Ian--- I couldn't wait to show you guys this picture, I thought ya'll would appreciate it. Yes sir, I am very blessed to have a son who wants to hunt with his dad. His 9 year old sister is as good a shot as he is but has not taken Hunter Safety yet. She is taking it on April 8. I will have TWO hunting partners after that. They have both shot since they were about 5. Started out on airguns, moved to 22's and are now both shooting centerfires (with a great deal of accuracy, I might add). My boy is also very salty with a bow. My daughter just likes things that go bang! (I know...I should be nervous)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD338--- Thanks!

Mike--- He was already ruined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He got his first two coyotes earlier this year and all he wants to do is go calling! I'm glad he got a taste of something else. Man can not live on coyotes alone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Screech---That's exactly why I started taking my kids out at young ages. I grew up loving the outdoors and hunting because my dad always took me. I hope that they will pass the legacy on to their kids, too. Thanks!

Way to go dog caller and little dog caller!
Thanks for sharing the picture.
That is the perfect gun to start a young hand out with.
Two coyotes and a big hog that put a smile on my face.Mike

Bet your smile is bigger than his! Nice job.

I have a 12 yr old that can hunt this year, he has an elk, deer, antelope tag for MT and we won an antelope hunt in WY, can't wait to hunt with him. He shoots a 7mm-08 with a muzzle break and is deadly to 400 yds.

Again, great job!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
what bullets did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pop,
I am ashamed to tell you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He is shooting a reduced load (for recoil reasons) using a 75g Hornady HP. It is a great coyote load but is a little light for hogs. I would not have let him shoot if I had doubted his ability to place his shots well. That, plus the fact that I was there to put the hog down if need be. The little guy is lights out with his little single shot so I knew that a hundred yards was a slam dunk for him. I didn't count on the pig not going down after the first shot but I didn't worry about losing her. I was fully prepared to finish the job if I was needed.

magicofmt---Thanks and good luck to your little one on his up and coming hunts. Keep us posted on how ya'll fare.

dc

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.