My public land bull colorado

Too windy we shouldn't have jumped , usual 1500 agl static line jump , when chute opened wasn't over dz , was cruising at 30 mph or so when I slammed into a side of hill. You want entertainment I'll post my post op xrays
Was any one else hurt?

Thanks for the kind words gents .....

I'll admit I got down in the dumps for awhile after the injury , being confined to a wheelchair does that

My passion is hunting and I was determined to get out again

Getting out in the woods by myself , even if I don't see a thing , is therapeutic for me
and my limited time elk hunting is what I live for really (and of course the wife and rug rats)

I was the last jumper out , it's a long story , but by the time everyone exited the bird was at the end of the dz .... tried to steer towards it but the wind was gusting like crazy and sent me the other way . The rest of the jumps were called after they found me :eek:

Where were you? I was 127/1BCT/82ND. Every jump I was on someone was injured. I have a friend who's foot was literally mush after a jump. His boot was holding it together. Someone stole his air and his chute collapsed. I'm glad you got medical retirement, though. Take some pressure off of you in the real world. I hated jumping. Never made sense to me.

Congrats on the elk hunt. Sounds and looks like an awesome hunt. I have an elk hunt set up in 2021 in Montana. Pretty excited.

Where were you? I was 127/1BCT/82ND. Every jump I was on someone was injured. I have a friend who's foot was literally mush after a jump. His boot was holding it together. Someone stole his air and his chute collapsed. I'm glad you got medical retirement, though. Take some pressure off of you in the real world. I hated jumping. Never made sense to me.

Congrats on the elk hunt. Sounds and looks like an awesome hunt. I have an elk hunt set up in 2021 in Montana. Pretty excited.

Very nice, well earned bull. Beautiful country in the photos. Nice rifle also.....is it just the photo, or is that a "long" barrel? Also, in your description of taking your bull at about 1.5 miles in....I contend that there is a nice, wide corridor to hunt, between the average walk-in hunter and the majority of horse hunters. Often the elk will hang-out where there is less pressure.....that corridor just described. Years ago, I packed-in where the horse hunters where working/camping. I would have likely had better success, hunting closer to the truck and using the "saved" energy and time to hunt more and harder! It's also a "hell of a lot" easier to pack out the elk! Again Congratulations on your pretty bull, and Thank You for your service, also sorry to hear of your injury. Your doing more than most who have never had trauma like yours! memtb

Last edited:
Nice bull, beautiful country & cant wait to get back in those mountains! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice, well earned bull. Beautiful country in the photos. Nice rifle also.....is it just the photo, or is that a "long" barrel? Also, in your description of taking your bull at about 1.5 miles in....I contend that there is a nice, wide corridor to hunt, between the average walk-in hunter and the majority of horse hunters. Often the elk will hang-out where there is less pressure.....that corridor just described. Years ago, I packed-in where the horse hunters where working/camping. I would have likely had better success, hunting closer to the truck and using the "saved" energy and time to hunt more and harder! It's also a "hell of a lot" easier to pack out the elk! Again Congratulations on your pretty bull, and Thank You for your service, also sorry to hear of your injury. Your doing more than most who have never had trauma like yours! memtb

its a 26" tube, long, but I like the velocity and this gun shoots 1.5 - 1.75" groups at 300 yards. My other guns Ive switched to carbon barrels, but this gun shoots so good I'm leaving it.

Ive hunted this area a lot over the years and you are totally correct in your assertion. The high country was hammered but the "transition zone" there was hardly anybody and thats where the elk headed too.

I ran into elk in the high country but they were pressured from the road hunters and the horse hunters behind me - they were running like the wind and headed into north facing dark timber. Once they're in there I don't bother as you just make too much noise going in there and they just slip away.

If I can give any advice to hunters is too find a good area with large numbers of elk - the north and west part of the state and get to know that specific GMU well - you'll find "escape routes" and places they hang out on even public land

786B7290-A170-4A6A-83B8-DBB1ED3121CD.jpeg
My ugly mug

And the rifle - I recently worked up a eld x load for it 175 gr

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.