Public Land Elk Hunts

huntingfool

Does anyone have any info on over the counter Elk tags for Idaho or Wyoming? What units would be the best for Meat. I am not looking for trophies. I am strictly a meat hunter and live off what I kill 90% of the year.

I have never hunted in Idaho or Wyoming and just need somewhere to start.

Thank you for all your info.

Idaho has OTC tags for a few different units that go on sale on December 1 and many of the better ones are gone within a very short time. You just need to get on the G&F website and see what they are and decide by next December what to buy on their website as soon as possible after they go on sale. All tags for elk, deer, and antelope are by drawing in Wyoming and sometimes there are a few either sex tags left in the units where public access is difficult and the same goes with cow tags. The draw has already been held for nonresidents and tags that are leftover after the resident draw will be published on the G&F website sometime in June. Those leftover tags will be sold first come first serve on the net in July.

Last edited:
Keep your eyes open on the classified ads... cragislist and other places, there are always tags coming up from landowners

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.