My newest Deer Hunting Rifle Robinson Arms XCR-L in 6.8SPC

Moki

I purchased my first ever military style rifle for hunting predators/deer/black bear this spring after a lot of research I went with a OD green 18.6" Robinson Arms XCR-L in 6.8SPC that I am loading with the new Barnes 95gr TTSX bullets @ 2825fps.

In actual field conditions I am getting an average of 3" 3 shot groups @ 300 yards and 6" 3 shot groups @ 400 yards.

The new 95gr TTSX are designed to expand down to 1600fps which makes this a 450 yard deer cartridge/bullet combo but I will not be shooting deer beyond 330 yards which is my personal limit for hunting with this rifle/cartridge combo.

Here is a pic of the rifle I have a Leupold VX111 4.5-14X40mm Varmint reticle 30mm tube side focus scope installed.

img_9298.jpg

Was out black bear hunting with my 3 year old son and 9 month old Chessy a few weeks ago we all had a great time but no bears came home with us.

img_9243.jpg

Here is how I carry it on my quad the other rifle is a shortened to 21" Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM loaded with 260gr Accubonds/RL 17 @ 3020fps.

img_9303.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I need to take a look at those rifles. Looks fun. Great pics and your huntin buddy looks like he's havin a good time too. Good post thanks for sharing.

Great pics especially the one of your son. Always good to build the memories. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments here are a couple more pics from the trip... :D

img_9248.jpg

img_9250.jpg

img_9247.jpg

and oops found this freak mud hole had to get a tow truck first time in 25 years I needed help to get out.

img_9287.jpg

Actually that is where he sits when we ride I do everything else he trusts me to keep him in place even when he falls asleep.

You asked so here you go... :)

I started with stock NIB Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM

Rem_700_LSS_in_375RUM_Project_Rifle_002.jpg

Had gunsmith shorten barrel to 21" glass bead it and install NECG Masterpiece front banded sight I installed NECG red fiber optic front sight blade (have spares in case one ever breaks).

Finished_21_Inch_Rem_700_LSS_in_375RUM_Dec_2009_010.jpg

I glass bed the stock & ground/installed Kick-Eez recoil pad

Rem_LSS_375_RUM_Glass_Bedding_Start_007.jpg

I installed Leupold QWR bases and mount scope with low QRW rings then bought a VX3 2.5-8X36mm B&C reticle scope but when I started loading with RL17 powder and saw the velocities/accuracy I was getting I switched over to the VX3 4.5-15X40mm B&C reticle scope.

Finished_21_Inch_Rem_700_LSS_in_375RUM_Dec_2009_011.jpg

Finished_21_Inch_Rem_700_LSS_in_375RUM_Dec_2009_002.jpg

Whoa could not put this last pic in to the above post something about to many images.

I was sighting in the ghost ring sight with my 350gr Barnes TSX @ 2450fps loads (first ones imported into Canada) I pushed them to 2520fps but decided I didn't need/want that kind of recoil slowed me down to much for a second shot.

Here is a 50 yard target the lower hole/shot was a test shotafter seeing where it hit I adjusted the ghost ring sight up and shot this 3 shot group.

I have repeated this group many times now.

img_9180.jpg

I looked but I can't find a pic of my groups with the scope installed shooting the 260gr Accubonds guess I'll have to fix that some day.

I'm heading to the range for a bit today but won't be taking this rifle I am sighting in my Rem 700 LSS in 30-06 that I had shortened to 20" and mounted the VX3 2.5-8X36mm scope on.

I am also taking the XCR-L I switched back to the 223 conversion kit on the weekend and need to sight it in with a Leupold Vari X 4-12X40mm scope that I had a LR reticle installed in.

:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.