My new rifle pics

mike_l

this is my new rifle. it is a .300 ultra mag built on a remington action with a schnieder varmit contour 1-12 p5 barrel, jewell trigger, high tech speciaties varmit stock, spiral fluted bolt, and a leupold 8.5-25 50 scope. think that about covers it hope you all enjoy

1217CIMG0082-med.JPG
1217CIMG0081-med.JPG
1217CIMG0080-med.JPG

Mike I, awesome looking rig. I feel sorry for any varmint that is within a mile of that rifle. What bullet are you going to use in this beauty. Man, I need to learn how to post pics, so I can show my rifles. Once again, nice rifle.

Wildcat

still working on loads i want to shoot either 180 gr. accubonds or the 180 gr. tripple shocks those are the two that i am playing with right now. should finnish break in tomarrow and shooting for groups on saturday. will post my results when i get them.

Good luck, and put em in one hole. What are you going to be shooting with this baby.

Wildcat

i was lucky enough to draw an elk tag in my home state of arizona and i am hoping to fill that tag with this rifle. that and i would have no problem shooting some coyotes at long range if i get the chance. my brother in law also has a couse deer tag and might end up using it to take care of that as well.

first groups out of new rifle

well shot the ultra mag today with a little dissapointment would shoot two really good ang the third shot was consistant 1 inch left. really hurt group size. one group litterally put bullet #2 in the same hole as #1 then #3 was 1 inch left. gonna try some other loads if this continues think it might be the scope. heard a trade secret about turning the scope 90 deg. to see if the problem continues only the third would be 1 inch up or down instead of left to right.

Re: first groups out of new rifle

She looks like a nice piece of workmanship.

Im really interested in those schnieder barrels. It has the polygonal rifling,correct?

It doesn't seem that the scope would be a problem always on the third shot. I don't think they can count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe a thoro cooling after the second shot would be revealing?

Looking forward to your results..

roy,
the barrel is the polygonal rifling you would love it i just finnished cleaning it and it only took one treatment of sweets after 20 rounds without cleaning. and even before i cleaned it, it didn't have much in the way of fouling. as for the cooling don't think would make much difference because the 4th and 5th shot were right with the first two and then the 6th would be off again. weird i know have heard from some people that the leupold just cant handle it like the nightforces can. don't know though i really like the leupold it has features i like about it that the nightforce doesn't.

If the third shot is ALWAYS the flier and 4 and 5 land with 1-2 I don't think that its the scope , the few times I see scopes go bad the gun shot great then shot terrible until the scope was replaced , I seriously doubt that the scope would shift POI after the second shot then return after the third. Just to make sure you could shoot a sesion of "around the box" to see if the scope is tracking properly and if it is i don't think that the reticle is shifting
Try shooting a group of five shots but wait several min between rounds so that the barrel is the same temp after each shot. I have seen barrel that would start to walk as they heated up but once they got so hot that they "drew" into the stock and made contact they settled back down , this is the reason I like to have around 1/8" around my floated barrels , it alows them to heat and cool evenly and their is no chance of the barrel making contact.
It could be as simple as making a little more room in the barrel chanel or you might have the barrel cryoed , that tends to help alot with factory guns that "walk" as they heat up.

Is this gun bedded at all? a good glass or piller bedding and a little more room in the barrel chanel may make a
so-so rig into a good shooter.

the action is bedded with marine tex and the barrel channel has a .060 gap all the way around so it doesn't touch at all. going to try some different loads also a guy i was talking to said that usually horizontal stinging is due to bullet seating depth don't know how true that is but might play with that a little bit too. got to figure somthing out soo because my elk hunt starts in a little over a month so running out of time.

Mike,

I would personally lean more towards something binding or touching as the barrel heats up. It would be hard for me to imagine that the seating depth of your rounds would cause what your seeing. If this were the case, how would you not see different rounds being the flyers, or just happen to pick up the "different" rounds, on the third and sixth shot?

Possibly there might be just a tad of something binding in the bedding around the recoil lug or the back screw on the action.

Overall to me it just sounds like a heat induced or realted symtom than anything else.

Let us know if you find the culprit.

At worst, your hunt should not be to much of an issue, as the first two shots are spot on, so yoiur elk should be on the ground before you have to worry about the drifter.

Hello Mike! I read your post on the 300 RUM group spread with great interest. I have a custom 300 RUM on a remy action with a Lilja barrel & Leupold scope with the exact same problem. And I live in AZ as well. I finally took it to another smith that does a lot of benchrest guns. He felt my "vertical stringing" of third shot was wind related. But I have a hard time believing a light breeze (3 mph) can push a 200 gr. AB traveling at 3200 fps that far right over only 200 yds. However, he also found that the locking ring on my Leupold scope eyepiece was not tight. This could have also been the problem, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it since, to see if the problem has been corrected. Let me know if you find a solution to the "walking" third shot. I'm 330+ rounds into my barrel and still not satisfied with my groups. Good luck on the elk hunt. Not sure where in AZ you live, but it might be fun to meet and compare notes sometime. I live in greater Phx area.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts