My Kirby Allen tools at work!!!

joecool

Well my elk season more than started and than it was over. I spotted some cows just before light and waited to see if there might be a bull hanging with them. So I get my .270 Allen all set up just incase there was a bull with them I ranged the cows between 340 to 400 yards they where spread out grazing. Well after a little while this bull steps out of the trees headed up toward the cows.

Now normally I would have shot him on the spot but he was going right up to an old road… I thought **** how handy is that, so after he gets on the road I range him at 362 yards (just a chip shot) dialed in, and sent the 195-grain wildcat on its way and hit him right behind the shoulder and it was all over.

1000005uz3.jpg

1000006cz6.jpg

Did you at least 1/4 it and pack it around for a few hours just to keep with good elk hunting practices?

Unfortunately, your elk steaks won't be as tender as the ones Bravo 4 and I packed for 5 miles uphill to the ATV. All I can recommend is to cook them a little longer to make up for the lack of 'in the pack tenderizing' :D

Nice going, and nice bull. Congrats!

AJ

Joecool

The only way you could top that is : The next time park the truck in the road and
shoot him where he would fall in the truck.

I like the way you think and if other people would think about the retrieval before they
shoot a lot of meat would be saved.

This year I saw 3 elk killed that were almost imposible to retrive. 1 5x5 only the backstraps
and antlers were saved,1 5x4 only the antlers made it out( The meat was spoiled by the
time it was found ) and a cow was never found ( I found it later by the smell ).

I witnessed all three shots because I was watching from my hunting location and had
passed on the two bulls because I had seen a 6x7 running with them and was waiting
for him.

When the 5x5 was shot I was waiting for a shot on the 6x7 at about 650yrds and an easy
retriveval. ( If the shooter had waited he would have gotten the first shot at him ).

Any way, a very good hunt and excellent planning

J E CUSTOM

Hmmm... My elk a few years ago was a mile from camp and about ten miles from the nearest road. Poor planning on my part I guess! Thankfully my hunting partner had horses...

This year's mule deer fell a quarter mile above an abandoned logging road. I got him to the road, then we quartered him out and backpacked him to the truck a couple of hours away...

I've obviously got a LOT to learn from you about WHERE to drop an animal!!!

Congratulations on a nice bull.

Congrats Joecool, nice shot and a really pretty cape. The antlers are a wonderful color too. A really pretty bull, of course, ALL bull s are pretty, or is that handsome?

WOW!!! What a year for you! Nice bull and a nice Black Tail to boot. That 270 AM is really working out for you. gun)

I see that you are a south paw, I am too. If you do not mind, I would like to know some details about your rifle. What action is it built upon? I like that stock, who made that stock?

Thanks for the bandwidth,

Thanks guys!!! I had great year and I finally got to try the 270 AM and the 195 wildcat bullets out on big game.

Specs on rifle are.

Left-hand Rem receiver chrome molly receiver fully accuried
Sako extractor installed
Holland comp recoil lug
29 3/8" Lilja 1-8 3 groove barrel #7 contour
McMillan A-5 stock pillar bedded
Defensive edge brake

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts