7mm allen mag?

jnoel2279

What is the big deal with the 7mm allen mag.? is it really that much better than the regular 7mm rem mag? can you help me with this, I love the coefficients for the 7mm. and i already own a 7mm rem mag in a browining abolt. is this new caliber really something i should look deeper into?

I don't own a 7mm Allen mag, but based on the difference in MV and downrange ballistics, the 7mm Allen mag will continue to perform well on large game like elk out to 1500 yds, where the 7mm Rem Mag pukes out at around 1000 yd on expansion velocity. You need to shoot heavy bullets in the 7mm Allen mag to obtain the full ballistic and kinetic advantages. You probably need to have a 10 lb or heavier rifle (bare rifle weight) in the Allen mag to handle the additional stresses strains on the barrel and still obtain sufficient accuracy to deliver out to the ranges it's able to cleanly harvest big game. There's been a shortage of suitable bullets for the 7mm Allen mag but now that Wildcat Bullets is manufacturing custom heavy for caliber bullets, that issue may be taken care of in the not too distant future. Others that own the 7mm AM will likely sound in. There is no comparison between the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm AM. The 7mm AM is the dragster. The 7mm Rem Mag is a stock car.

If you plan to shoot a lot, the 7 AM will eat barrels much faster than a 7 Rem Mag. But if you feel the need for speed, change out barrels like Nascar changes out tires, and you're off to the races again. :)

Oh yeah; you won't be buying 7mm AM cartridges at the local gun shop, so plan on reloading with the heavy for caliber bullets - like 200 grain bullets. Your Browning A-bolt is a pip-squeak, comparatively speaking. But I have cleanly harvested game out to 850 yds with my 7mm Rem Mags.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info. I live in south La. whitetails are my main course to follow but elk have kept me up a few times in Colorado. Hope fully one day I can shut one up, put him down and bring him home. So should I really consider owning up and trying to reach for a new gun chambered in the 7am?

What is the big deal with the 7mm allen mag.? is it really that much better than the regular 7mm rem mag? can you help me with this, I love the coefficients for the 7mm. and i already own a 7mm rem mag in a browining abolt. is this new caliber really something i should look deeper into?

Yep, it is!

Don't own one, own a 270 Allen Mag, but have seen a couple of the 7mm AMs shoot. One fella put a nice bull down at something like 996 yards w/two shots w/in about 4" of each other in the shoulder.

The 200 grain Wildcats are now being shipped as I understand.

Without special build considerations it will be closer to 15 LBS than 10.

As said above, 1500 yds on an elk under the right conditions i.e., you can make the shot, the elk is in the bag.

Roy:

You're pretty durn close! Here's a link to what the gun looks like. As it is in the picture, it weighs 14#.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/175-gr-smk-7mm-allen-magnum-47204/

The bipod is a Harris 9"-13" notch leg swivel with swivel lock, and is included in the weight.

I'd post a pic of the 7mmAM next to the 7mm Rem Mag, but I don't have a 7mm Rem Mag loaded round. I don't know what the capacity of the 7mmAM case is, but the .338 lapua case that it's based off of has a capacity of 115g water vs. 81g water for the 7mm Rem Mag. The 7mm AM has a greater case capacity than the .338 lapua.

I believe a 175g bullet in the Rem Mag would go as quick as 2840 fps in a 28" barrelled gun where that same bullet in the 7mm AM is going 3470 fps. Just a wee bit quicker.:D But it really shines with the 200g Wildcat bullet.

Case capacity of one of my 7mm AM cases is 122 gr of H2o.

Lets see I shoot a 7mm 08, 7mm RM, 7mm STW and a 7mm AM, Yes its that big of a deal.
I never hunted elk but I've taken a whitetail at 1350 yards with a 160 accubond from mine.

The 7 RM will churn a 160 out the barrel at what 3000 fps, I can easily achieve 3700 without being really overpressure, since I use a really temp. sensative powder I run them out at 3575 to give me a buffer from warm weather.
The 200's are shipping? cool, My order has been in for months, paid for in full so I should be gettin themsoon.
RR

Case capacity of one of my 7mm AM cases is 122 gr of H2o.

Lets see I shoot a 7mm 08, 7mm RM, 7mm STW and a 7mm AM, Yes its that big of a deal.
I never hunted elk but I've taken a whitetail at 1350 yards with a 160 accubond from mine.

The 7 RM will churn a 160 out the barrel at what 3000 fps, I can easily achieve 3700 without being really overpressure, since I use a really temp. sensative powder I run them out at 3575 to give me a buffer from warm weather.
The 200's are shipping? cool, My order has been in for months, paid for in full so I should be gettin themsoon.
RR

What powders do you use in that overbore a cartridge? Can you fill the case or do you run the pressures up too quickly?

3006 Savage:

I use WC860 in mine. If you look in the link that I posted, Kirby gives powder weights and velocities. You can't just "fill up the case", you've got to develope a load just like any other cartridge, although there are some good suggestions on where to start on here.

Is this your first LR rifle? Are you an avid reloader? I would ask myself these 2 ?'s before diving into a AM. The 7 am is an amazing round but not a cartridge to a beginner. It was mentioned that you can't just go and buy cartridges for this caliber. That's just the beginning. You can't even buy brass that is formed for that caliber. You have to Buy .338 lapua brass, neck it down to 7mm and then fireform it to your chamber. Wait a minute I stand corrected: You can but the stuff directly from Kirby already fireformed but I can't imagine it being really affordabe.

I supplied the .338 brass to Kirby and he fireformed it for me. I didn't think the price that he charged for fireforming was out of line, and it was easier for me to do that, expecially considering that I didn't have the rifle and hunting season was fast approaching. I have enough fireformed brass to last for the life of the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.