My idea of a case trimmer

linksmechanic

I got kinda tired of the slow process of trimming cases. Especially since I often trim about 2-300 cases per week. I had every trimmer there was: Rcbs, Hornady, redding 2400. The best manual trimmer was the 2400 but it was SLOW! Finally I decided this little lathe wasn't to far off from a rcbs power trimmer and was way more accurate. And it is insanely fast. I can trim a case per minute. What do you guys think?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/linksmechanic/DSC04309.jpg

If he gives it some of the growth hormones they feed the chickens around here he should have a 1.5 spindle bore in about 6 weeks.:)

Mini lathes work great for trimming cases and neck turning, especially neck turning. I missed a deal on one a few weeks back 20 bucks for one about that size but missing all the change gears.

Feed and water it well and in a few years you'll be able to chamber and fit your own barrels.

$20.00? That's insane! I would have bought it for a $100.00. I think I paid $300.00 for this one. Oh well it works well. I need to learn a little more on turning to use it for other stuff.

No but you could buy the 3 way cutter from rcbs and use that. I'm in the process of making my own tooling to do the same think with a redding tin cutter. Right now I'm using a standard lathe bit that works fantastic.

i understand you have a lathe and that's great for other things, but for a case trimmer, the best kept secret is the Lee case trimmer. it is simply the easiest,fastest,most consistantly accurate, and of course cheapest there is. i'm always amazed no one ever talks about them when the subject of case trimming comes up.

If you're looking for other ideas for case trimming on a lathe, you might look here:

Case Trimming Fixture

Still hard to beat a Gracey or a Giraud for sheer speed in trimming cases. I do want a mini-lathe for various things... but this is one of those areas that a purpose-built machine excells in... for a price.

I understand the lee is cheap and fast but I doubt it is more accurate than a metal lathe or a redding 2400. I was able to trim to 1/2 a thousandth with the redding and less than that with this unit. Also like I said I trim and chamfer in about 60 seconds to exact length every time. Anyways I posted this as a solution to the normal case trimmer. I looked in to the giraud and the gracey but they were almost more or the same cost as this unit and were only 1 purpose units. Happy trimming!

Yea I probably would have too....but you know the old day late dollar short thing.

$20.00? That's insane! I would have bought it for a $100.00. I think I paid $300.00 for this one. Oh well it works well. I need to learn a little more on turning to use it for other stuff.

Links, i guarantee you the Lee is more accurate than your lathe or the 2400. not to mention it will get way more consistant results when you have to setup on a different day. if you do another batch 3 months from now, the Lee will produce the exact same results. it is by far the best trimmer out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.