My hunting load with the 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter

Greg Duerr

Wow, I feel better now after all the ups and downs with working up a load in my .243 AI. I have settled on the 100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter as my rifle will only shoot flat base bullets. 44.2gr of H4350 with the bullet touching the rifling and my groups are averaging right at .306 I have never had a gun shoot that well. Thats shooting off a bipod and a rear bunny ear bag.
I so much wanted it to shoot the Nosler accubond or the Bergers but no way. I do feel real confident in the Pro Hunter as much hipe that is out there about the Premium bullets I confident that the Pro Hunter will work just a good as any other bullet, beside all else being equal bullet placement it what really matters. Right behind the shoulder and all else is equal.

Now if I can just find some Berger FB 80gr Match Varmint bullets as the bullet pack I bought Wow, accuracy was incredible ..............goups averaged in the mid .2's .................I was blown away. Im now on three waiting lists .............seems that these bullets are really scarce.

I bought a new Cronograph and will check the velocity with 44.2gr of H4350 Whats nice is that the 80gr berger groups I shot was with H4350 also ..........Right now I have 10lbs of H4350 makes life a lot simpler.

Greg

You will be well pleased with those 100 gr Pro Hunters. I have killed hundreds of white tail deer with Sierra bullets in most every caliber between 6mm through 45 cal and never had any reservation about using them. I also have found that the 4350s just plain work in 243s.

I have a custom 25-06 with a Shilen SS barrel that will not shoot boat tail bullets either. It sure will shoot a flat base though. 117 Sierra Pro Hunters shoot bug holes and drop deer like you jerked the ground out from under them. :D

RT

Thanks for the feed back. Wow, dont know of anyone that has the kind of experiance you do ............your the type of guy that we need to hear from your opinions are based on in the field experiance not from feelings, or ballistic tables.
I finally aquired 10 lbs of H4350 and it works wonders with the 100gr and the Berger 80gr. So much so that I have four lbs of H4831SC sitting around........

How are the supplies in your area.................I usually stop by our store here in town every day to see what has come in ...........like Fed 210 Primers, and Im on two waiting lists for some 80gr Berger Match Varmint bullets...................I would feel a little bit better with 5 more lbs of H4350.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.