6.5mm 120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter what happened?

Jinx-)

On Saturday regular deer season opened, so I was out on the tree-stand after 30 minutes I spotted nice buck about 150 yards away heading towards me. This time I used rifle which I custom build from Savage 111 action, Riflebasix trigger and Criterion barrel chambered in 260 Rem. For this hunt I loaded 120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter bullets on top of 45 gr RL-17, basically 2980 fps. So I hesitated to take a shot through thick brush and since buck was heading towards me I just waited for a clean shot, which took place 40 yards from a tree-stand, that buck never took another step and felt on the same spot, the bullet hit 4th rib on the right side, but there were no exit.

deer113.jpg

that bullet went through both lungs and it was nothing but gooey left, then it destroyed humerus junction with shoulder bone, then 5" up from it I found bullet jacket, probably half of it on the inside of the shoulder blade.

So had anyone used this bullets and what are your experiences with them?

This was quite a few seasons ago, but with the same bullet...I was shooting a .264 magnum on mulies...one buck absorbed three of these in the chest area, at around 200 yards...I would knock him down, then in a few seconds he would be on his feet. I finally hit him in the neck...as you found the bullets fragmented...I switched to 125 Noslers...this was before many of the new bullets on the market...but it seems the 120 Serria hasn't been changed since those days....

Wyo. Coyote Hunter, so they just fragmented on the impact, like varmint bullet would? I guess I made wise choice by putting another shot in the neck before I got down from the tree stand, that bullet as you can see, also never made an exit, its probably still in the spine. So I'm thinking for my second tag use 140 gr SST.

You shot a buck at an abnormally close range and he dropped on the spot without taking another step, it broke a rib on entry and turned his lung tissue to jelly,...
I have to ask, at what point did the bullet fail? Especially considering it was probably still moving in excess of 2800fps on impact?

Sounds to me like it did it's job very well, considering that it didn't come apart until it destroyed the shoulder on the far side.
Add another hundred yards to that range and it will be slowed down sufficiently to hold together and punch it's way out the other side.

To me bullet failure means hours of tracking, not DRT.

JM2cents

I know, I should of use shotgun with a slug at that distance, it just not fair and not challenging...

The 120 Sierra performed just like it was designed to. It is a cup and core bullet made to expand all it's energy in a deer size animal. It did and it wiped out the vitals and killed on the spot. What more could you ask for? If you wanted the bullet to hold together and exit you need to slow it down to around 2500 fps muzzle velocity. I have used the 120 Sierra and Nosler ballistic tip in 6.5X55 Swede at 3000 fps muzzle and they exhibit the same results inside 200 yards. Beyond 200 yards they usually exit because they have slowed down enough. If you want a bullet to fly great be very accurate and expand but hold together go to the Nosler 130 Accubond. I shoot it in my 264 Win Mag at 3350 fps and even at close range it exits but really messes up the vitals.

Yes, bullet did it job, it terminate that buck instantly, but for me who just switch from 308 seems a bit odd when bullet doesn't exit. I shot few bucks from 308 using 165 gr Interlocks and them always had penetration even size of orange, also I used 270WIN with 130 gr SGK which always made an exit. My only worry with this new caliber, what if I have to track my next buck and no exit wounds leave not many clues to go on. The only reason why I chose SPH is flat-base design which is suited to a place where I hunt, previously I used 130 gr SGK from 270 WIN an them didn't expand enough at short ranges unless they encounter thick bone. Basically this is my first experience with SPH and I wanted to share it and see what other people think of it. Will I use it again? Yes I will, but only will aim lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.