My friend is full of

I put 2 rounds out of 10 on a 12" steel gong in a varying speed swirling wind last summer at 800 yards with my 223 coyote gun. And that was extremely tough. With the wind gusting and then dropping off and gust again most of my shots just walked back and forth beside the target. On shot left, one shot right, one left.......wind blows that little 50 grain bullet around like a leaf.

He's fibbin'
Either the wind wasn't blowing 50 or he didn't even see a prairie dog. 50 mph is gale force winds and all prairie dogs know to not come out in that stuff. They'd be steam rolled by tumble weeds or blown away like a tumble weed themselves.

But what's the harm in him fibbin'? I always like a good whopper. Let him have his fun and be entertained by it.

lightbulb Wind was blowing East to West halfway to the dog and West to East the other half!...Took the bullet a foot off target and blew it back on again!

There's your Whopper LOL!

Your story on how your friend made this shot was very interesting, the additional information on the weather and off hand makes it even more interesting.. conclusion; your friend needs some serious help. Try standing in a 50 MPH wind.
Cheer's

He said the wind was blowing 50 Mph and it was off hand he said he held right on target in 50 Mph wind.

Heck... I killed a gopher at one thousand yards in a hurricane with my BB gun using 1 pump only. Can you say right between the eyes. Then I flew my dragon over to check my results and he ate the thing so I don't have any proof. No lie!

Just out of curiosity, is a shot like that possible with the wind coming from behind the shooter rather than a cross wind ?

Just out of curiosity, is a shot like that possible with the wind coming from behind the shooter rather than a cross wind ?

I would suppose anything is possible (the golden BB effect) as I said earlier just stand in a 50 MPH wind, and shooting in any direction would be pretty iffy.. not to mention the range of the shot and caliber, that would also be saying your friend is a expert marksman with a rifle. As long as the bullet could get to the target anything could happen.
With that said "if" I made that kind of shot I don't think I'd go around telling folks about it... it would have to be my little secret. :)

I did some pd hunting on my uncle's ranch in Colorado. We were shooting them anywhere from 250 - 500 yards. To hit a target like that free hand alone would be very impressive let alone 50 mph winds. Living here in pa it is pretty hard to shoot squirrels with 35 mph winds at 50 yards. I would have to say your friend is telling you a tall tale. Just stand in some strong winds and try to free hand shoot a target you'll find out the truth real quick. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.