My first semi-custom build!!

Nimrod1203

Hello all, new member here. I've read on this site for quite some time, and have always been intrigued by really accurate rifles and shooting small groups...so i finally decided to build(so to speak) my first custom. I am using a used Tikka M695 as the base. I bought it off my brother in law for $250. It is currently in a .270 but i currently have a Remington 700 .270 that shoots > 1/2" with hand loads, so i decided to save money and to get a newer rifle, i'd go to .25-06. I've just sent the action off to Randy's custom rifles in Wyoming for a new shilen match 26" stainless barrel #4 contour. I'll have it fluted, the bolt fluted, and then ceracoated. the bolt will stay stainless. I've got a McMillan sako hunter on the way(4 months from now). and a Vortex Viper HS 4-16 to top off the Picatinny base. I'm hoping this will be a go to antelope and varmint gun. What do you guys think? would you do anything differently? Thanks for the input, and i'm happy to finally be a member.
Nimrod

Thank you guys for the encouragement. I'll post pictures of the finished product. now if i could just find a metal bottom metal for the tikka, i'd have it completed. I'm thinking i could wait a bit on this, but i may have to have someone custom make one for me. That is the only part of this gun that kinda bugs me. I don't want a 10 rd clip or anything, but a metal trigger guard would be nice. anyone know where i might find one?
Nimrod

Sounds like a nice rifle. My only suggestion would be on caliber. 25-06 is nice, but compare the BCs of the .25 bullets vs. 6.5mm or 7mm bullets. A 6.5x284 shooting 140VLD at 3000fps is awesome. 7mm SAUM shooting 168VLD at 2900....awesome. Both are fast, flat and will kill deer at 1000yards and if you can see a groundhog, you can shoot it. Also, by chambering for a short-action cartridge in your long-action, you will be able to put a long throat in your chamber so you can use every bit of cartridge capacity AND still get your loaded rounds into the magazine.

I'm really interested in the 6.5x284, however, for my first build the point of sticking with the 25-06 is to stay in the 30-06 family, so the bolt didn't have to change. also, as of now, i don't have the capacity to handload(i have the equipment but it's a 1000 miles away and have no place to mount securely in an apartment) so 25-06 will be easier to shoot. Depending on how this build goes, i may build a remington based(cheaper build due to cheaper aftermarket supplies) 6.5x284 for true long range. I've never shot past 300 yards, so this will be my first longer range set up. my training wheels if you will. I think i can learn alot from the 25-06 and apply that later to another higher power round. That was my thought process anyways. Plus my wife will shoot this gun too(told her i was building it for her too....which made it easier for her to swallow). I also thought that it'd be a good cartridge for western Nebraska.

I'm really interested in the 6.5x284, however, for my first build the point of sticking with the 25-06 is to stay in the 30-06 family, so the bolt didn't have to change. also, as of now, i don't have the capacity to handload(i have the equipment but it's a 1000 miles away and have no place to mount securely in an apartment) so 25-06 will be easier to shoot. Depending on how this build goes, i may build a remington based(cheaper build due to cheaper aftermarket supplies) 6.5x284 for true long range. I've never shot past 300 yards, so this will be my first longer range set up. my training wheels if you will. I think i can learn alot from the 25-06 and apply that later to another higher power round. That was my thought process anyways. Plus my wife will shoot this gun too(told her i was building it for her too....which made it easier for her to swallow). I also thought that it'd be a good cartridge for western Nebraska.

6.5x284 and 25.06 have the same bolt face!

Regardless of the cartridge you choose, you will learn a lot and be able to apply that knowledge to your next rifle. So why not go with what you really want which is the 6.5x284. Get your reloading gear shipped to your apartment and all you need is a small table.

LOL, well that shows you how much i have to learn. For some reason i was thinking the bolt face had to be larger for the 6.5x284 case... For starting out, i think the lighter recoil may help me learn better long range habbits? that is my theory anyways. I grew up shooting a .270 exclusively, but we handloaded 90 grain hollowpoints to about 3600 fps for small Arkansas deer. I'm kinda thinking for starting out, i'd like to try the 06 for the 115 gr. I've heard good things. And then i'll buy/build a big game someday...something either 6.5x284 or just a good ole 300 win mag. I'm not real keen on the short mags, due to case life. I'm also hoping someday to have an Ackley, but thats a future project. Maybe turn my 25-06 into an ackley on down the road. I dunno....It's taken me three years to commit to this.
Nimrod

Cranky old randy, he builds nice rifles but nut much of a conversationalist. My dad grew up with his kids and I remember once when I was a little kid we went up to his house and they were making pancakes and randy gave me the gigest plate of blueberry pancakes ever... strange how things like that stick out in your head.... Anyway Randy build my dad a left handed 50 BMG on a mcmillan action a couple years ago and its a work of art to say the least!

It's good to hear good things about his work! i don't care if he doesn't like to visit much, he was as cheap as any smith out there, and by using a shilen, he can get it back to me in 3 weeks. every other smith said it would be 4-5 months. Randy said if he used a lilja or kreiger, it'd be the same as other smiths. but shilen could get him a barrel in 1 week! that was the biggest deciding factor. anyways, for the work he's going to do for me, it's going to be VERY reasonable. I'll post pictures when it's all finished. however, the stock will take 4-5 months to get. McMillan is pretty backed up, but my options are very limited for the Tikka. However, i feel that action is the smoothest factory action and trigger i've ever felt, so should make a heck of a custom. Anyone else have a custom m695?
Nimrod

.25-06 is a fine caliber, I know people that use the 25 on Elk regularly. You may not want to take the distance too far out with Elk.

Get one of those roll-away tool boxes(yard sale), fit a sheet of plywood to fill the top of the tool box then mount a piece of counter top to that(pick up an end from a cabinet shop). Use eye bolts, and turn buckles to anchor the box to the wall when in use(if you have a storage/garage there). Then you have neat drawers to store tools, dies, etc. and if you find one with deep enough drawers, you could fit powder jugs, and larger tools. All in a neat roll away portable package.

Thats a fine idea for a shooting bench, someday i'll borrow that from you! but for now, i don't have a storage unit with the apartments, and only a small second bedroom. So unless i can find a HEAVY table, i'm SOL. I'm not giving up on it. but it's not looking as easy. What kind of loads are you all shooting out of your 25-06, and what kinda Velocities are you getting with say a 115 gr round? I'll have a 26" tube so keep that in mind. thank you
Nimrod

Well i got my scope rings in today! it's the first part of the puzzle to get back to me. My action is supposed to be here the 1st of august. Picatinny rail will be about the same time. Scope won't ship till sept 1st(back-ordered due to production) and my stock will be roughly 1st of november.....geez i hate waiting......
Nimrod

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.