---My First Little Elk---

jcvibby

Non-Profit Sponsor
I shot my first elk! My adrenaline is still pumping. That is a dozier knife that did all the work from start to finish, sorry about the crappy Iphone pics.
jake

2wlsdqt.jpg

25u5q41.jpg

It was with a muzzleloader. Here is the story...

My dad and I took a horseback ride with our guide into the deep woods. About ten miles from the gate where the road was closed. Went in before light and right when the sun broke we got on a big sounding bull that we called in but that never panned out. A few more hunts later I found myself crawling up this mountainside for about 150 yards over trees and bushes and crap beating the crap out of my arms and legs trying to get close enough to get a good shot. It was pretty thick woods at this point and we were sounding off our calls and this guy was ****ed off. Thrashing a tree and snorting and barking and all sorts of stuff. I was standing up next to a small 8 inch tree with my rifle supported but could only see his horns as he was up over the hill just a bit. To the left between two trees was about a 6 inch shooting lane and on the right was a 3 foot opening. Of course he went to the left and I tried to squeeze off the shot while he was walking by but the gun never went off and he walked on by back in the woods a little further. I thought I had blown it at this point but he was still talking to us back and forth with our calls. I belly crawled about 50 yards to a 2 foot downed log and I could see his horns while sitting. I took my saftey off and stood up to a 3/4 standing crouch. I Pulled the trigger and heard a POP... I thought you son of a B$%^*... Slowly bent back down behind the down logs and reaching in my pocket for my spyderco to pry off my dud of a cap. Put a new cap on and tried it again. POP. The blood is hot at this point and I am ****ed wondering if I am going to get a shot at this animal. Same thing happened on the third shot and I am now trying to think of other ways to kill this darn bull. Small pocket knife? Rock? Stick? LOL Anyway I put another cap on and stood up slowly for a forth time. I am already fatigue beyond beleif, the knees are wobbling, the legs are gases and am I sweating to death by this time. Stood back up to my 3/4 crouch and finally got a shot off. He was quatering away at 97 yards and I shot him 6 inches in front of my front shoulder aiming point. Stoned him!!! Dead right there. Off course the entire forrest heard me yelling and screaming. It died at 12:30 on Saturday, it took another 6 hours to skin and bone him out and pack him out of the woods. All is good!!!!!

(Side note) I challenge anyone to get their heart rate skyrocketed and shoot a muzzleloader off-hand at 100 yards. I tell you what that was the toughest shot of my life.

What muzzleloader were you shooting. I don't think I want one! ;) Sounds like a good hunt. I can only imagine the fatigue factor. Forgot how tired you were after shoot though didn't you? Good job.

Tank

Nice bull! That definitely sucks on the smoke pole not wanting to go off. I've been using muzzleloaders that use a 209 primer for about 10 years. Had one hang fire about a half second, no other problems. Gonna do a shoulder mount?

Here in Washington state we are old school and can only shoot percussion caps. Standard online muzzleloader non 209 primer

Here in Washington state we are old school and can only shoot percussion caps. Standard online muzzleloader non 209 primer

Well that explains it. It Pennsyltuckey (PA) we have two muzzleloader seasons. Early season is doe only and can be shot with percussion, inline, or flint. Second season is buck and doe and you can only use flint. So count your blessings that you are allowed to at least use flint.

Tank

Congrats on the elk and making that shot. standing in a 3/4 upright position is probably the toughest way to make a shot. of course 3 missfires and a racing heart would certainly help the accuracy! what you need is a small wire to keep the flash hole open. i've done a fair amount of muzzle hunting and the flash hole is your worst enemy.

Congratulations on a great hunt! If that's a 'little elk' i think a 'big' one would scare the daylights outta me!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts