My First Ever 1000yd Groups

Reelamin

I decided I wanted to shoot a Deer or Elk at least 1000 yards away last elk season. I went to this site and scanned what was going on. Then I added a muzzle brake and a new scope to my Elk gun the last couple of months. I did some load development and just finished up yesterday. I loaded up the best 190 VLD load, and headed out to shoot 1000 yards today. I checked it with my Leica by measuring two 500yd distances, and then verified it with Google Earth. I know I was within 5-10 yards.

The white target backer is just under 4' wide by 6' tall. It is in the center of the pic with the camera zoom at 0.
IMG_2884.jpg

So I set up the rifle and get ready to give it a go. I dialed in the number of inches minus two from what the computer said. I put in 18.5" instead of 20.5" at 100yards. I shot it yesterday at 500 and it was almost two inches different then the computer.
IMG_2885.jpg

There was some wind but it was right at the target so I let three fly. 16" group with good elevation I think. The three on the right with two beside aiming point and one lower and a little more right.
IMG_2887.jpg

By the time I drive out check the target. Text my buddy and do the happy dance the wind changed angle just slightly. I figured it was about the same and would not matter much. Besides...this is easy I just did pretty good for my first ever 1000 yard group. So I fire three more....drive out to the target...not a stinking one on it! WTH...then I see where some rounds have gone through the sage brush just to the right of the target board. I throw some dirt and weeds in the air, and the wind is going at about a 25 degree angle to the target.

This is doable I'm thinking...I will just hold on the left edge and see how it goes. This is group number two with the missing round just to the left of the target board according to the sage brush.
IMG_2888.jpg

This is starting to irritate me so I text my buddy. He gets on his program with what I told him and tells me "Two Clicks Left". I click in two and send the last three holding center of target. 8.5" of LOVE at 1000 yards!! All things considered I was happy with my first shooting at 1000 yards!
IMG_2886.jpg

^^^^What he said :D & yes, give us details on the rifle!! I always thought shooting long range was fun, until I tried it........ It's freaking awesome! :cool: Anyone who has put rounds on target at that range gets hooked like a fat kid on doughnuts :)

Well done.

"Fat kid on donuts"...LOL...good one and very true. For sure...was thinking of how to cool my barrel so I can shoot more. Also how to see bullet holes at 1000+ without having to drive out every three shots. It did allow my barrel to cool between strings driving out and checking.

Rifle: Nothing fancy and purely a hunting rifle. Basically has a barrel with a brake screwed on.

Remington 700 stock action and trigger 300RUM.
Lilja #3 contour at 26"
Magna Port "Magna Brake" muzzle brake.
HS Precision Sporter stock not bedded with factory recoil lug.
Leupold Vari X III 6.5x20. I know this scope is at least 20 years old.
Standard Leupold bases and Md. Rings.

This particular load was a 190VLD @ 3320 that shoots right at .6 for average. I have two practice loads and another hunting load to try this weekend. The practice loads are not as accurate but hold under 1". The other hunting load 200 Accubond @ 3240 has been running just over .4.

Hope to have my buddies totally stock (Magna Brake) 700 this weekend out to try. His is shooting groups as small as mine. Will post up the results after I get them.

Last edited:
A camera designed for a remote control airplane or helicopter works nicely. Set it up aimed at the target and you hold the video terminal on your shooting mat. I am not sure the max range of the remote camera, but 1000y is doable. I guess there are threads on LRH about it. I do not have a remote camera set-up yet, but a buddy did back almost 6 years ago and it worked wonders over a spotter.

A camera designed for a remote control airplane or helicopter works nicely. Set it up aimed at the target and you hold the video terminal on your shooting mat. I am not sure the max range of the remote camera, but 1000y is doable. I guess there are threads on LRH about it. I do not have a remote camera set-up yet, but a buddy did back almost 6 years ago and it worked wonders over a spotter.

Thanks...will search and see what I can find. I should have known someone on here would have figured that out.

Great shooting. I will be heading out later this week for my first 1000yd session with a new rifle. I have done some before in the military but not like this. Hope to shoot as well as you did.

I had the pleasure of meeting a March rep at a 1k match in fairmont, WV. He let everyone look through the March line up, and you can see 26cal holes at 1k with the 8-80 easy, but if the mirage isn't bad you can see 30cal + bullet holes with a 12-42NF or 10-50 SIII.

Open your bolt and put the muzzle of your rifle right against the ac vent in the dash if your truck. It is surprising how quikly it will cool your barrel. I think the cold air blowing inside the barrel is the trick.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts