First ever Elk!

bman73

This past weekend I finnaly got up to Dawson Creek for my first ever elk hunt. After passing up a shot at 880 and then another at 1150(beyond my self imposed limits as I'm still new to this long range thing) I did manage to get a nice cow at 373. Was hoping to get one at around 500 but due to light fading REALLY fast I decided to take the first one I was able to get sighted in on. I hit her complete broadside with my 110 BA in 338 lapua with a gen 2 300 grain Berger. The damage to the elk was substantial to say the least, both lungs were blown apart and it looked like someone had set a grenade off inside of her liver. The only thing more surprising than the carnage was the fact that it got up as I was walking up to her. I did walk up on her too soon but it was getting dark fast and I was excited to say the least. I did end up putting 3 more rounds in her from a 338 win mag and she still just stood there, not reacting to any of the hits at all that were all in the boiler except for one which hit her in the neck. The picture below is a shot of the exit wound from the Berger, wound channel is not a problem with this round. All of the rounds that hit her would of been fatal and to be honest I'm sure nothing was really needed after the first round but I have heard too many stories of elk getting away with wounds that would of stopped other critters so I just kept shooting till it fell over. All in all I am happy with it, lots of good meat coming and a great trip to remember

Attachments

• 300 grain berger exit.jpg
    300 grain berger exit.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 70
  • elk 2012.JPG
    elk 2012.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 54
Nice going! I was hoping that you would cash in after hearing about your prep.I hope that its the first of many.

Great job,You have a long range elk hammer, it is ideal for elk hunting . Keep it up.

Nice! The rule on elk is if they're still standing, keep sending 'em.

That's a good rule for anything, no matter the size or number of legs.

Now you see why a lot of guys like Long Time Long Ranger and other more experienced elk hunters recommend large caliber rifles for long range. Was she dead after the first shot? Yep, but it looks like you had to remind her several more times!

Congratulations on your first elk!!!!!
Good shooting and wise decision to keep shooting until she went down. You can never be absolutely positive of the lethality of a hit until you are gutting the critter.

4 shots huh? And you call yourself a hunter!

I would have shot her 7 times!

lol, just kidding man, nice job!

Congrats!! I hope you shoot many more. My first elk I shot was in CO and I shot him so many times people came filtered to my spot thinking I was a group of hunters on a herd. Keep laying them down!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.