My Field Test of The G7-BR2 Rangefinder

Getting numbers from the unit was not problem until I got past 1400 or 1500. The problem was in some cases the number from the G7 was incorrect as it picked up sage or other objects that were not in the center reticle. I don't like the option of switching back and forth to different modes. The entire idea of this unit was based on the fact it will supply the dial up faster with less equipment to carry and deal with. Switching modes and wondering which is correct seems time consuming and also this is not how I interpreted the instructions for ranging a "far" target. (as per manual "F" " allow objects such as brush and tree branches to be ignored so that back ground targets are acquired") So it should have worked for me on the "F" mode and it did indeed fail in some instances.

Jeff

Jeff,

Hope this ain't a hijack.....:)

The weather is killing my Leica 1600.

Where there is plant of snow i.e., ground well covered, and hoar frost on trees it doesn't range worth a squat in any degree of sun light especially on south slopes.

When ranging to the shady side or when the sun gets real low and the south side is shaded I can range on a regular basis to nearly a mile consistently on sage brush, ground brush, rocks, boulders, juniper trees etc......

How's your's do in snow and sunlight?????

Wednesday there were 3 yotes in clear view from 590 to 688 yards for half an hour and I couldn't get a hand held range on them. :rolleyes:

Well, I just received my G7 from my wife and boys as a xmas present and finally got a chance to mess around with it for a few minutes. I must say that I'm very impressed with its ranging capabilities. I haven't got to mess with the ballistics program yet, but just in standard mode, I have consistently got yardages over 2K. Even my good friend was getting yardages over 2K and was in amazement at the consistency. I've included a pic taken with the iphone through the lens of the G7 at a tree I was ranging. It gave me yardages three times at 2509, 2508, and 2509. The yardage in the pic shows 2503, but it was a little hard to hold the phone steady against the G7 and get an accurate range (little shakey I guess). This was taken today around noon in Phoenix, AZ and was pretty bright out around that time. The tree is at the top of the red circle so I must have bumped it trying to take the pic and range at the same time, go figure!

Attachments

• Photo Database.jpg
    Photo Database.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.