My Buddy just had knee replaced.

joseph

Is it possible for him to hunt and me to drive by using a 4-wheeler ATV some where on public land in Wyoming. We do not have much money to pay for a guide on private land? How about a tress pass fee on private land? How much $ ?

He just turned 68 and just retired and I would like him to go on one hunt before he goes to the great hunting club in she shy.

This would be for the 2012 year season.

Any advice and people you might recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks,

joseph

PS: Please send me a private message with anyone I can contact.

Look on Wyo game and Fish site they have special requirments for special needs hunters. Public land will be available and usually tresspass feed are reasonable or free just to get animals off land.

Absolutely, I've had my knee replaced, and my neck fused, and Wyoming is very ATV friendly. 1) Get an off road permit as they will check. 2) Stay on established roads, and tracks, no busting through the sage-not even for recovery. Antelope are pretty visible, and usually a cooperative one can be found without too much hiking. Not a bad drag weight wise, but the hair is different, slide it on a tarp or it will be bald on the down side within a 100 yards, the horns also pull off easy. A good walking stick is essential for him. Good kneepads as well.
Your buddies knee will feel much better in a year, I'm guessing he's been told that, I did this by myself last year so it's doable.
Tag is tougher, if you don't have preference points start by buying one now. Even 1 point can make a difference for a better unit these days. On sale until the end of September.
If he has doubts about what he'll be able to do in a year, and wants a first hand account I'll be glad to talk to him.
Good Luck

Good advice guys! Buy a PP for $30 and he can probably ride/walk to a water hole to sit and let them come to him if he still isn't able to get around real good by next year.

Is it possible for him to hunt and me to drive by using a 4-wheeler ATV some where on public land in Wyoming. We do not have much money to pay for a guide on private land? How about a tress pass fee on private land? How much $ ?

He just turned 68 and just retired and I would like him to go on one hunt before he goes to the great hunting club in she shy.

This would be for the 2012 year season.

Any advice and people you might recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks,

joseph

PS: Please send me a private message with anyone I can contact.

My father in law had his replaced at the age of 63, which was a total replacement. He was back up and going fine after 2 months. He has not had any trouble with it and whitetail hunts every year. He is able to climb stands and anything else he needs to do like normal. I believe your friend will be able to get back out there like you would like. Rehab these days is very beneficial..

Had one done In Jan. 2010. Was antelope hunting in SD in Oct. and deer hunting in Mn. in Nov.

He should be doing just fine in 2012. He will be getting around better after therapy than before the replacement.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.