My 300Wby continues to amaze me.

WildBillG

I have a 300Wby in a Sako rifle with a 24 inch barrel. Well the other day I took it out and chronographed it to my suprize it was doing 3246fps. The load is 180TTSX Barnes over 83grains of Rl19 and a Rem 9 and a half magnum primer. It grouped .950 at 100yds and about 1.25 at 200yds. This as it turns out is a pretty flat shooting setup which I always thought it was. This older cartridge to me is still hanging in there with a lot of the newer ones. Another bonus is the brass seems to last a long time a real added bonus with the price of brass here in Alberta now a days.

I've got a Mark V 300Wby i bought new in 1991. It was the Euromark model (flat finish stock and duller bluing) that came with the option to send in and get an additional free high end fiberglass stock (which I did). Been my 'go to' deer rifle ever since. I could never get reloads to beat the factory Wby 180gr ammo which typically runs 1/2-5/8ths groups at 100yds. But alas, its finally starting to open up to 1.5-2.0" groups - probably due to the fire cracking i see in the first four inches of the barrel. Prolly just get a new barrel for it.

I have killed more animals with my 300 then all my other big game rifles put together. Not sure how long Sako offered this setup but they should do it again with a26 inch barrel. I had a accurate load with Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR4350 but switched to Barnes X and have never gone back. My Barnes load just never lets me down. Vernw how many shots does your rifle have through it now?

I too have killed most of my game with this round since the early 80's, my present rifle is a factory Montana SS w a 26 in barrel. I built my son a Interarms with a McGowen barrel 26in to replace his Mk V.

My favorite was Sierra BTHP 165gr but last few years the 180gr nosler partition for whitetail bear. IMR7828 has worked well over the years time to try some of the newer powders when time permits.

On a side note I have a factory Weatherby Southgate 4 digit (1950's) with a 20in chrome lined barrel from the factory, it was called a "carbine" back in the day, talk about useless imo. So don't fret over the 24in tube could be worse :)

My first real rifle punchesed while in colledge. A Remington 700 SS special run, it's on barrel number three! Shoots the 190 grn Berger's lights out although this new barrel is a tad on the slow side at just under 3k. I often question when I see a new whiz bang 30 cal come out what's the point! Weatherby cartridges with faster twist barrels are as viable as ever.

I have killed more animals with my 300 then all my other big game rifles put together. Not sure how long Sako offered this setup but they should do it again with a26 inch barrel. I had a accurate load with Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR4350 but switched to Barnes X and have never gone back. My Barnes load just never lets me down. Vernw how many shots does your rifle have through it now?

Unfortunately i don't have a round count on this rifle, wasn't smart enough back then to even think about doing that. Honestly, thats something this old phat phart just started doing with my last 3 purchases. If i had to weather a guess I'd guess somewhere between 1500 and 2k rounds...

IT's a great round and Remington's inspiration behind their own .300 Rum as they wanted a proprietary cartidge that could meet or exceed it's velocity.

Not much you can't do with either outside of African dangerous game.

CanHunter I am not sure but I believe it is. I bought it brand new in in the early 90's and likely would would not have bought my 338 Win Mag had I bought the Weatherby first. The fact that it matched the 338 for muzzle energy and shoots so much flatter just floored me. Now that I know it shoots those TTSX Barnes at 3246 really stuns me. As I was really expecting to maybe get 3150 if I was lucky. I know it is only 100fps but the 300 Win gets 3100 with 180's. I feel better knowing that the 10 extra grains of powder is dping some good.
WildRose you mentioned Remington I picked up a 257Bee in a Rem 700 and it smokes 100gr TSX out at 3600fps so I was happy there too. Both of these guns shoot way better then what I thought Weatherby cartridges could. I know both have some freebore but not sure how much but now really don't care. When a gun shoots like these 2 do it just over rides everything else pretty much. Although these velocities are a real bonus in my book.

My older brother and I have identical all Stainless (USA made) Weatherby Mark Vs in 300 Wby 26" barrels,

We always shoot Factory Wby ammo, 180gr TSX adv vel is 3240 fps, my rifle shoots it at 3200fps (avg vel) and Leifs gun shoots it at 3280fps (avg vel), using a Labradar out of the same box of ammo.

My rifle hovers around 1", Leifs rifle will cloverleaf them every time at the range, I rarely use mine anymore as I like building rifles and changing calibers like sox, Leif won't pack anything else but his 300 Wby !

One of the finest 30 cal cartridges ever made.

LOVE the BEE!!! I keep thinking about going bigger and or newer. But really....why? I have NO interest in the RUM, and the Norma would be a wash, performance wise, and I would have to "re-tool" for a 30-338 Lapua.

Plus, I have at least 8 Bee tubes!!

Nope.....I'm fat and happy!;)

CanHunter I am not sure but I believe it is. I bought it brand new in in the early 90's and likely would would not have bought my 338 Win Mag had I bought the Weatherby first. The fact that it matched the 338 for muzzle energy and shoots so much flatter just floored me. Now that I know it shoots those TTSX Barnes at 3246 really stuns me. As I was really expecting to maybe get 3150 if I was lucky. I know it is only 100fps but the 300 Win gets 3100 with 180's. I feel better knowing that the 10 extra grains of powder is dping some good.
WildRose you mentioned Remington I picked up a 257Bee in a Rem 700 and it smokes 100gr TSX out at 3600fps so I was happy there too. Both of these guns shoot way better then what I thought Weatherby cartridges could. I know both have some freebore but not sure how much but now really don't care. When a gun shoots like these 2 do it just over rides everything else pretty much. Although these velocities are a real bonus in my book.
Nice, I have an 80s sako av in 300wby. Excellent rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.