7-300wby

bushwackr

Hello all. I'm about 100% sure that the 7-300wby will be my next build, I have most of it figured out but I have a question for shooters of this round. I have a 300 rum thats in a light hunting rig and the felt recoil is nothing to laugh at, but not unbearable. I am curious if the wby will be the same or like a stw ,if its going to be harsh. I will be getting a heavier barrel and laminate stock to help soak some of the whomp. Thanks all

Being that their case size and powder capacities are nearly the same, I would assume it would be very similar to the STW.

I did some load development for one about 6 years ago. I used STW data for my starting loads. Good to go. I will build one some day....I have a bunch of 300 WBY brass to start with, and I am pretty sure my 300 wby dies will work with the proper bushings.

I think that now that we have the 195 bullets my build may be sooner rather than later.

Good luck,
Tod

Bullet weight and velocity will be the biggest factors affecting recoil. For me anything over 200 grains at 2800+ is a pretty good kick and will start to affect my accuracy after about 10 shots. I like to use brakes on that kind of stuff so I can shoot as many as I want. The 180 grain and lighter bullets won't beat my up as bad but I still prefer a brake on the magnums for working up loads and longer shooting sessions.

Ya I was shooting 200s in the rum. I sure new I was shooting it. It took lots of practice to shoot it after a dozen of so rounds

Two of my hunting buddies and myself had three 7x300 wby's built by Howard Wolfe now deceased but his son Bob builds these rifles now. We shot 168 gr. SMK in our rifles with 30" barrels that were a heavy varmint taper and recoil was not to bad. We used these in Pa. for long range deer hunting and they worked very well. One of the rifles could get 3400 fps with a stiff charge of 7828 but the load was to hot for the other two rifles, but we didn't have a problem getting 3250 fps plus with the other two rifles. The 7x 300 wby still has a good following among north central Pa. long range hunters and it would not be a mistake to build one. I also have a 300 wby with a 30" heavy sporter barrel and the recoil was pretty stiff using 190 gr. bullets at 3200 fps but after having a muzzle brake installed recoil was very tolerable but the 7x300 wby was a flatter shooting rifle.
drags

I have been shooting one for the last 4 years or so. Was shooting 7stw but with brass hard to find and finding a 7-300 wea reamer I switched. I am using 7stw data to start. Getting 3100 with 7828 and the 180 berger hybrid. Not hot. The newest rifle I am shooting is a stiller action with a sendero contoured fluted hart barrel. Recoil is not bad .

I was looking through p o acklys books and saw case on the 7 mm Remington length case that used 35 to 40 degree shoulders and gave 3100 fps out of I would say are 24 inch barrels also I have a copy of an add by tom Drummond from the early 70 about cases with 60 degree shoulders and gave 3200 to3400 fps.now I also have talked to bobby hart and he has a improved 7 mm Remington mag. giving 3400 fps with a 150 grain bullet.these might be of interest to you in building your rifle.
I am leaning toward the bobby hart case.
gary b...

I have a 112 fsak savage in 300 rum that will be the donor, unless I sell it and start with something else , the ultras aren't real easy to sell so I prob use that

I have a 112 fsak savage in 300 rum that will be the donor, unless I sell it and start with something else , the ultras aren't real easy to sell so I prob use that
That my friend is exactly why I tell people to shoot an ultra before buying one and most certainly do so if you're stepping up to the even larger cases and heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts