my 260 rem build

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rakatak, Feb 26, 2013.

1. rakatak

rakatak Member

hey guys just built a new 260 rem. built off a stevens 200 243 action. shilen select match 26 inch barrel, with a bell and carlson stock. vortex viper 6.5x20x44 scope with burris signature zee rings. what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

Love it. Sharp.

3. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Nice!

4. rakatak

rakatak Member

thanks guys. here are 2 5 shot groups at 100 yards. the center one was the first 5 shots, the lower group was after a 1/4 minute adjustment to the left. wind was blowing pretty good.

Attached Files:

5. crittrgittr

crittrgittr Well-Known Member

I am thinking of similar build. How do you like the action? That is almost dead on what Im looking at in 6.5x284

6. rakatak

rakatak Member

I love it and it wasn't hard to do either. getting the original barrel off of the action was the hardest part. ended up having to torch the barrel nut to loosen it up but after that it was pretty simple.

7. crittrgittr

My buddy has a ffl, so I can buy just the action through him. It is cheaper than the Savage, so I was wondering if it as smooth and reliable?

8. rakatak

rakatak Member

savage makes them so i assume it is pretty much the same action with just the stevens name on it. i bought a brand new gun in a 243 caliber. gave 350.00 for it brand new. look around at pawn shops, and you can probably find the old model 110 savage pretty cheap. my dad works at a pawn shop and they have a couple older savages for around 270.00 bucks. from what i seen the actions by themselves were pretty expensive.

9. crittrgittr

sounds and looks like you are happy with yours?

10. rakatak

rakatak Member

i am very happy with it considering it is the first one i've ever built. i think it came out better than i expected. here is a target i shot at 327 yards. its a little blurry but there are 3 different 3 shot groups. the first group was low and right. i corrected my scope and shot 3 more times those were the ones that hit to the left, i corrected back to the right 2 clicks and those were the 3 shots closest to the center. this was the first time i ever shot at anything over 100 yards.

Attached Files:

11. crittrgittr

That's great. Always nice when a project turns out better than expected.