My 25 SS build thread

Pardon my ignorance but what case is the SST and the Sherman off of?

Cody, seems to me you have a goat tag for this fall right?

SST (Sherman short tactical) is a modified SAUM case, as is the Sherman Short and also the Sherman Max. The SST is the SAUM with the neck/shoulder junction pushed back for a longer neck, and I believe less body taper. I think it has a 30° shoulder...but don't quote me. The Sherman Short has minimal body taper, the neck shoulder junction is in between that of the SST and the SAUM, and has a 40° shoulder. The Sherman Max has minimal body taper, 40° shoulder, and is set up to have a crush fit with factory SAUM brass, so you can fireform with SAUM brass without making a false shoulder or jamming the bullet into the lands. This gives it the most capacity of the three short action options. It is very similar to what a SAUM Ackley Improved would be, with even less body taper than an ackley type design. There is also the standard long action Sherman options, based off the .270 win or .280 rem cases, and are in between an ackley improved and a Gibbs type. Less neck than the standard Ackley would have, more neck than the Gibbs, with a 40° shoulder, and minimal body taper. Pretty much all of these are available from 25 cal up to .338 cal pretty easily, with at least one 6mm offering (the sst) and I have heard of a couple .35 cal variants. Then you get into the Sherman magnums.....based off the 300 PRC case, again, 40° shoulder, minimal body taper. The 300 Sherman Magnum can be fire formed from the 300 PRC. There is also a 28 and .338 version, and I know of at least one 6.5 Sherman Magnum. And, there are more to come I guess.....ha ha. Lots to keep up with.

And yes, I do have a mountain goat tag ha ha

Last edited:
Cody is correct.
The additional information is the SS lines are a slightly shortened SAUM case as well as less body taper and 40° shoulder. Allowing seating the bullets further out of the body of the case while still maintaining a true short action cartridge.

The SST are even slightly shorter than the SS line, and has a 30° shoulder for smooth feeding (even tough all my SSs feed like butter from either a BDL w. Wyatt's box or DBM w. WSM mags).

The Max is better suited for a medium/XM action to take advantage of seating the bullets out.

This is a 6.5SAUM vs 6.5SS. Totally different bullets and seating depths, but you get the point.
20210106_090134.jpg

L-R:
6SST, 25SST, 6.5SST, 6.5SS

20200525_115231.jpg