Muzzling my 338 Win. Mag.

gb568

I have a combat related injury that has left me with Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome / Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, to help deal with the pain I have a Spinal Column stimulator with implants at C1 & C2. I have a brand new 338 Win. M...ag. that I would love to use and hunt with, but with the expected kick and the fear of possibly dislodging a wire I can't use it till I find some way to tame this rifle. I have had many conversations with my Neurosurgeon (who put the implants in) and anything over the kick of my 30-06 has him concerned (he's not happy with the 30-06 but I have not trouble with it Yet and the last X-ray showed no movement) The PainKiller looked to be my hope based on internet research. ANYONE have any ideas ??? I was given the Ruger Model 77 MK II with a 24" barrel and factory sights as a welcome home gift and have yet to shoot it.

gb568,

Sorry to hear about your injury.
I would put a large D/E brake on that Ruger. The bigger the better.

Then get a big fat Limbsaver recoil pad and replace the original Ruger pad.

Mount a good solid scope with steel mounts to add a bit of weight to the rifle.

Then shoot mild loads with bullets no heavier than 225 grains and a fast burning powder. The 225 grain Hornady interbond is a top choice and expands well at low velocity.

With this set up your rifle will kick no more than a .30-06 and most likely a lot less. I had a set up similar to this for my 14 year old son to shoot. He loved it!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.