Muzzle Velocity in 21" barrel

RFtinkerer

I purchased a Savage "Bear Hunter" in 300 Win Mag (a 116 with stainless fluted barrel, camo synth stock) last week, and it looks like it has a 21" barrel with a 2" muzzle brake on it. I don't have a chronograph, so I rely on the published numbers for muzzle velocities. Of course they use a 24" test barrel, and I know I've sacrificed some muzzle velocity for easier transport. Does anyone know about how much velocity I've lost? Would I gain back some by closing the muzzle brake? Thanks for any info.

SWAT Article BARREL LENGTH

Tac Ops took a 26-inch barreled .300 Win. Mag. and chopped the barrel down in one-inch increments as they previously did with the .308 Winchester. Ten rounds of Federal Match 190-grain BTHP Gold Medal were fired from each increment. No velocity was lost from 26 inches to 22 inches. Velocity loss started to occur only after they went below 22 inches.

Excellent! Thanks for that info, makes me feel better about going with the shorter barrel. I actually had a Long Range Hunter on order, but when I got to it, it just felt too cumbersome. I preferred the shorter barrel. Also stainless. Hopefully it shoots well with some good factory load for hunting. I tried to shoot some HSM 185 Bergers, thinking it would be great for accuracy, but it printed like a shotgun. The "barrel break-in" ammo I used was better (Prvi Partisan 180 grain), it got to sub-MOA for a couple 5 shot groups! Oh well, time to experiment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.