Muzzle Energy

J E Custom

We talk a lot about velocity, trajectory, efficiency, cartridge name and many more subjects, but not a lot about muzzle energy. There will always be something that has more power (Energy) so it is just a discussion and could help someone chose what they need and not what they are told they need.

I am ask all the time why I chose one particular cartridge over another, the answer is simple most of the time. "Need" at other times there are other reasons. The latest has been why the 460 S&W over the 500 S&W. Both are very powerful pistol cartridges with tons of energy and recoil. they can be beyond the tolerance of some and are not viable choices but for the semi conscious, brain dead they can be fun and useful so they are not discussed very much and often miss understood as to their strong points.

I recommend choosing a cartridge based on your need and not the latest fad. sometimes a cartridge is chosen simply for it's reputation for power and ends up not being used by the owner. I have owned many rifle and pistol cartridges that were just not usable for the need and eventually they went to another home. for some, I just didn't like the total package because they didn't fill any need and would not perform up to their reputation.

I will use the 460 and the 500 for this explanation because it describes many more cases where one cartridge doesn't perform any better, or just barely better with other issues. When Smith came out with the new X frame
500 S&W I had to have one. but in the process of shooting and studying the ballistics of both, I found the differences to be very small and the benefits of one over the other to be quite different.

Both are built on the same X frame action, both have plenty of recoil and both have similar energies. (2887 ft/lbs for the 500 using 325 grain bullets, and 2847 ft/sec with the 460 using 300 grain bullets. so the 500 has a slight advantage in energy (47 ft/lbs) and the 460 has a slight velocity advantage (67 ft/sec) So there is not really enough difference to make ether one the better choice. My reasoning for selecting the 460 was the fact that the 460 could use three different cartridges (45 long colt, 454 Casull and the 460 S&W ammo). Bigger does not always mean better, so study the ballistics and any other differences based on your needs and you might find the perfect cartridge for "You" and your needs, even though it may not be the latest and greatest according to the Internet.

Just a discussion and not the best or worst of anyone's choice. so let's hear it. :)

J E CUSTOM

It took me years to finance my X-Frame, and during that time weighing the pluses and minuses of each. I chose the 460 for it's versatility and IMO the practicality. Being able to chamber 3 different cartridges is a plus, though...I prefer to use 460 brass and simply download to light load practice/plinking rounds.

As another benefit, which I discovered well after my purchase, is.....I can duplicate 2 1/2" 410 shot shells by using full-length.444 Marlin Magnum brass. Now that is versatility!

For my rifle caliber choice many years ago....I went to the "middle ground"! As a "one gun (rifle) hunter", I wanted a cartridge that could take any big game animal on any continent, with decent trajectory and retained energy for shots out to 600 or 700 yards....my self-imposed limit on game. I wanted a cartridge that was popular and available world-wide, in a rifle light enough for daily, lengthy carries.....yet heavy enough to moderate felt recoil ! I'm satisfied with my choice! It's not for everyone, but, then again.......it's "my" rifle! ;) memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.