Muzzle Breaks, Whats Your Take

For me, the most advantageous aspect of having a muzzle brake is spotting your long range hits and shot recovery from reduced recoil. The noise can be managed with hearing protection. All my long range rigs get muzzle brakes.

I debated this topic with my self for many years and finally had a brake installed on a 300wm.
Prior to the brake I could get 5-6 shots before I had to put it away.
Now I look forward to shooting it. It made a huge difference in my ability to shoot that rifle.
Now alot is said about "if you need a brake you are a wussie" etc etc.
My bottom line is I did not like shooting the 300 before, now its the first rifle I grab when I go shooting.
I do not like the noise, but i always wear hearing protection and will have to be sure that I have it when hunting, secondly the "next" brake I have installed will not be ported on the bottom.
My main hunting rig is a 30-06 which I have many rounds thru and can shoot pretty well. I am seriously considering puting a brake on it.
As mentioned before, try to shoot a rifle with a brake on it before you decide if its right for you.

That my take.

I debated this topic with my self for many years and finally had a brake installed on a 300wm.
Prior to the brake I could get 5-6 shots before I had to put it away.
Now I look forward to shooting it. It made a huge difference in my ability to shoot that rifle.
Now alot is said about "if you need a brake you are a wussie" etc etc.
My bottom line is I did not like shooting the 300 before, now its the first rifle I grab when I go shooting.
I do not like the noise, but i always wear hearing protection and will have to be sure that I have it when hunting, secondly the "next" brake I have installed will not be ported on the bottom.
My main hunting rig is a 30-06 which I have many rounds thru and can shoot pretty well. I am seriously considering puting a brake on it.
As mentioned before, try to shoot a rifle with a brake on it before you decide if its right for you.

That my take.

Just take the brake off when you hunt. If you are shooting it one time, full of adrenaline, you won't feel the recoil and you won't develop a flinch. Of course if you have the time to put hearing protection on, all the better, but many times fast opportunities come up at closer ranges.

For me, the most advantageous aspect of having a muzzle brake is spotting your long range hits and shot recovery from reduced recoil. The noise can be managed with hearing protection. All my long range rigs get muzzle brakes.

+1 !!!

this is exactly where I stand !
years back when they first came out, I picked up a Win M70 in 300 Win Mag with the BOSS muzzle brake, it worked as advertised, reduced recoil and you could actually tune your bbl to your load !
the drawback was that thing was extremely loud and made a small tornado of dust and crap after every shot .... I really didn't care for brakes until my brother got a side ported brake installed on his 7.82 Warbird in 2002, it was night and day difference between the two brakes, a big WIN for the side port brake !
I have the Defensive Edge style of brake machined into the extra inch of all my barrels now and since have discovered the Muscle Brake made by Benchmark Barrels !
I have it on my 375 Mjolnir and my 90 lb 14 yr old daughter can shoot it all day long !

This brake is also removable via the set screw on the side and can be thrown back on quick as needed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 46
Glad you like it Swamplord!
Here is some history on our variant of the Muscle break: We worked with Jim See to produce them here in Washington as demand was more than than we expected locally, then with jims approval we started exporting them to Canada and Australia. Later we came up with a variant of the original design. Sorry for the history lesson, I just don't want anyone to think we pirated a product :)
As far as breaks go, I love them! The major benefits, you can shoot 100+ rd strings and still not develop a flinch. And seeing the impact on animals tells you whether you are chasing a wounded animal or one thats DRT.
+1 on muzzle breaks!
Chris
Benchmark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.