Muzzle breaks????

joe0121

So I just got my barrel back from Kreiger and they put on a muzzle break. First Man what a difference. I cant say the recoil is a lot less, but it is more like a slow push instead of a charp knock. Also it seams like the report is maybe a quieter with more of a bass sound.

Mine is the type that has a few rows of holes alternating rows having a slight offset.

I have heard a .300 WM with the arrowhead type set up on a armalite and it's muzzle blast and report was much louder than mine without a break.

Would a more tradition muzzle set up like the armalite or muscle break be more affective at recoil reduction the trade off being more noise? Or is it my imagination that my rifle is actually a bit quieter?

Your recoil should be quite abit less. And as far as noise goes it may sound different but muzzle brakes usually make them louder.Can you post a picture of the brake?

Typically, the more effective the brake, the louder it is.

...unless you're talking about a suppressor. ..which is a completely different subject.

-- richard

The best muzzle brake is a suppressor, and it is a flash suppressor as well as a sound supppressor. It usually improves accuracy as well.

Get a good air rifle (not the department store variety) and try it with and without suppressor in place. Something like an old BSA SuperTen. No need for the silencer tax as air rifles are not subject to firearms laws. States that do not allow firearms silencers at all still allow air rifle silencers, so everyone can try this one if they have access to a silenced air rifle with removable suppressor. Benjamin Marauder is a common American suppressed air rifle that is very accurate and should prove this point if the full length barrel shroud can be removed. My BSA uses the common thread-on type at the end of the muzzle.

Be aware of game laws. Some states do not allow suppressors while hunting while they are legal otherwise. The full length barrel shroud on a Benjamin Marauder usually never raises the question as it looks like a bull barrel and 99% of firearms people are PCP air rifle ignorant, even police sniper level firearms people. On the other hand, most firearms people mistake my BSA for a firearm and the air rifle suppressor as a firearms suppressor. I get tired of explaining it at the rifle range. Wish firearms people would learn something about modern air rifles. Meriwether Lewis was smart enough to take an Austrian military air rifle on expedition in 1803, and leave the others fussing with muskets in the rain and wind while he cranked out 22 rounds without reloading and scared the bejesus out of Indians.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.