muzzle breaks

retiredcpo

Im in need(not right now but soon) of a muzzle break for a 243 build
(I know why break a 243, the lady that the gun will be for loves to shoot but hates recoil)
any good ideas where to start looking
would really prefer one that does not blow out the bottom so it can be shot off a truck hood but I dont know if someone make a top only break
retiredcpo

While a 243 weighing anything over 8lb won't recoil real noticably really, a muscle brake sounds like the right deal. While a lot of people dislike recoil, wait till they get some backblast from a muzzle brake. The CSR muscle brake is the mildest in that aspect.

I have a vias on my 300 wsm aand dont mind the balst at all.
I know some complain about it but I have never had anyone complain about mine
However it blows out the bottom and I would have no paint left on my hood if I shot it off the truck which we do alot of
retiredcpo

Check out Strait Shot Gunsmithing. Im pretty sure Nate builds a fish gill style brake without holes top and bottom.

The 3 port mini muscle brake would be the one to use. I designed it for the smaller standard cartriges and it works awsome on them. It's a bit smaller and looks really good, last one I put on was a tikka in 300 wsm(the upper limit for this brake) and the guy was very happy. With the advantage of no back blast.

http://www.centershotrifles.com/sales/img/CSR_MuscleBrake.jpg

+1....no back blast would be a great benefit for a lady.

The 3 port mini muscle brake would be the one to use. I designed it for the smaller standard cartriges and it works awsome on them. It's a bit smaller and looks really good, last one I put on was a tikka in 300 wsm(the upper limit for this brake) and the guy was very happy. With the advantage of no back blast.

http://www.centershotrifles.com/sales/img/CSR_MuscleBrake.jpg

I agree with this the muscle brake is the one to use.. I shot many of these and they are impressive.

So this mini muscle brake will not damage the paint on a hood if shooting off the hood of a truck(or windshield)
dont shoot game off the hood but do shoot alot of steel and rockchucks from the truck
retiredcpo

No bottom ports, but I wouldn't rest acrost the hood within 2 feet of the windshield, unless the gun was pointing in a forward position.

I had a buddy with an unbraked gun shoot actost the hood and the concusion unstuck his rearview mirror from the inside of the windsheild.

Never seen one break a windshield, but I imagine it could be possible.

really we shoot 100's of rounds of our truck hoods ever year with no problems
except once my buddy forgot about the angle and shot to short putting a nice crease in his hood
well ok twice last year another buddy forgot about not shooting to short and put a 17 hmr round through my truck bed.
retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.