Muzzle Brakes....

Yeah, you don't want to be changing how you shoot during parts of the year. If you suck so bad or are weak to the point you NEED a muzzle brake, then you're probably going to keep it.

If you have the ability to manage recoil like an adult, or you (more likely) shoot an overbore (probably some 6.5) cartridge, then it's really a non-issue all together.
Don't do much shooting prone do you?

"It's about learning the craft and not relying on equipment"
The "craft" used to be rocks, then spears, bow and arrow, then black powder, then rifles with open sights, metallic cartridges, then optics, then brakes and so on...
Now some people, decide that they can define for everyone which part is "learning" the craft and which is not.
If it is about the "craft" just hunt with rocks...
The rest of us, who embrace technology, can decided for ourselves what the "craft" of today is and you have the same right.
Some use supressors, some use Brakes, some use iron sights, some use bow and arrow...GREAT TO HAVE CHOICES!
Enjoy your sport everyone the way you choose. The rest is just noise

"It's about learning the craft and not relying on equipment"
The "craft" used to be rocks, then spears, bow and arrow, then black powder, then rifles with open sights, metallic cartridges, then optics, then brakes and so on...
Now some people, decide that they can define for everyone which part is "learning" the craft and which is not.
If it is about the "craft" just hunt with rocks...
The rest of us, who embrace technology, can decided for ourselves what the "craft" of today is and you have the same right.
Some use supressors, some use Brakes, some use iron sights, some use bow and arrow...GREAT TO HAVE CHOICES!
Enjoy your sport everyone the way you choose. The rest is just noise
I will drink to that, cheers!

Yeah, you don't want to be changing how you shoot during parts of the year. If you suck so bad or are weak to the point you NEED a muzzle brake, then you're probably going to keep it.

If you have the ability to manage recoil like an adult, or you (more likely) shoot an overbore (probably some 6.5) cartridge, then it's really a non-issue all together.
Ouch!

Accept we aren't talking about the craft of hunting with a spear….

This opens the conversation to using air craft, or just buying meat from a a farm. We are talking about long range shooting. Or even just shooting in general.

There IS a wrong way. If your weapon, or scope is hitting you in the face, or if you're consistency or precision is suffered, it makes you a poor shooter. If you want to bring hunting into this, then it matters more, when taking a life, then say competing. A muzzle brake is a bandaid for poor technique. I'm not saying people shouldn't use them. I just ask to recognize what I'm saying and be weary of it.

Last edited:

Listen here mr. whatever…… smart A..! I shoot more in a month than most do in years. Year around. I'm simply asking others their do's & Dont's . I shoot 375's, I braked, 378 & 416 WEATHERBY, 458 Lott.
I'm a lot bigger stronger & tougher than a huge majority of people including you. If you don't like brakes that's your perogotive. Others do and might like to try.
I can change how I shoot within the time it takes me to grab another firearm; from .22LR to 6.5x55 to 06' to 416 and deal with the recoil.
Put your Zero Scense

If you're going to use a brake, use it all the time. Double up on ear pro at the range and in practice. When hunting, you should wear hearing protection if you're worried about damaging your ears regardless of having a muzzle brake or not. The blast from a rifle with or without a brake is hurting your ears. Doing load development and practicing with a brake, then taking it off to hunt is a bad idea. Your load can go out of tune because of the difference in barrel harmonics and the entire recoil impulse and what you practiced will be different.
A simple few rounds on paper will tell one what is happening

Listen here mr. whatever…… smart A..! I shoot more in a month than most do in years. Year around. I'm simply asking others their do's & Dont's . I shoot 375's, I braked, 378 & 416 WEATHERBY, 458 Lott.
I'm a lot bigger stronger & tougher than a huge majority of people including you. If you don't like brakes that's your perogotive. Others do and might like to try.
I can change how I shoot within the time it takes me to grab another firearm; from .22LR to 6.5x55 to 06' to 416 and deal with the recoil.
Put your Zero Scense

Buddly? Do you have a quigly-ford scopes?

How do you know you shoot more than me?

Or that you're bigger, stronger or tougher than me? Or anyone here for that matter?

and you got my do's and don'ts, since you asked and all…
I like brakes just fine. I'm saying don't use them as a crutch for bad technique. A little touchy there no?

The F Class guys are all doing it wrong... Who'd have thunk it. I like my the rifles that have brakes. I like the rifles that don't have brakes. But I like to shoot farther than the 50 yard targets :)
F class guys don't shoot off barricades, fallen trees, or make first round impacts. (No spotters)