Muzzle brakes

How is the blast back toward the shooter? I'm thinking of doing a 16" or under 375h&h

I really never notice it. It's just slightly worse one my new line of brakes that are 37 degrees as opposed to these self timers that are 25 degrees.
I also haven't shot a brake on anything under 20" though, I couldn't say how it would be in a short barreled 375!

Lots of good brakes here. In my opinion the best brake would be, a suppressor.

Attachments

• DSCF1403.JPG
    DSCF1403.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
Anyone tried one or more of the MB's sold for black rifles? Just kind of curious how those compare to the much more spendy brakes. For instance, something like this?

I know that I had one similar to that on a 7.62x39 AR that was really good at diverting the muzzle blast (shooting buddy uttered a bad word every time I shot while next to him) and did make a small difference in recoil. But, honestly, that was not a good test of anything.

I like the 2AA brakes, though they are really the only ones I have used so I don't have a lot to compare to. I run their titanium X4 on my 284 Win, a titanium T4 on my 223AI, and a T3 on my AR. The X4 is designed for the AR-10 type rifles and bored for 30 cal, but works fine on the 284. I haven't shot it without the brake, so I can't say how effective the recoil reduction is, but it is very comfortable to shoot, and more importantly, does a good job of keeping the rifle on target. These aren't self-timing brakes, but can be timed with shims or crush washers easily enough (the X4 was timed on a lathe by the smith that built the 284 for me, but I timed both of the others using washers myself).

Based on some slow motion video I saw, brakes with top holes can definitely bend even heavy barrels and might even adversely affect bedding. However, I've got a few of Kirby Allen PK (PainKiller) brakes that have 3 holes on top. All of my rifles shoot very well with them. "If" my barrels are bending or whiping downward it hasn't presented any negative effects that I've detected.
Another vote for Kirby's PK brakes. I have one on a .257 Wby and one on a 7mm Allen Magnum. When shooting the .257 Wby side by side with an unbraked one, the difference is amazing. The unbraked one will hike up the leg of the bipod off of the shooting bench as the gun tries to rotate around the bullet. The braked one just marginally comes straight back.

I will NOT use a radial brake from the prone position. I've gotten too many dirt baths and I've learned my lesson.

I see now that they are incorporating some muzzle brakes with the suppressors. That may be the way to go!

Come on, man......don't make me say it. 😇
Funny isn't it? 10s of thousands of us all had to rush out and buy...You..know..what's! I actually purchased 9 personally for friends and family... different stock configurations....now nobody wants to talk about them! ***? I still like mine... VANITY.....THY NAME HAS CHANGED TO MAN...! ( At least...where You Know What's are concerned)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.