Muzzle brakes

Then theres me wich I'm odd so that probablly explains why I like the looks of the Jp brake. I have one on a 300rum and I could shoot it all day long given good ear protection.

Your not alone screech,I like the JP and will be having Kirby install them on a couple projects.
It wouldnt be my first choice on a carry gun though.I think for carry,I'd give Holland a try.

I have not used the JP, but have used the Holland QD brake. I highly reccomend the Holland. It is a good looking brake as well as being very effective at reducing recoil. With large slots on the sides and no holes on the bottom it does not kick up dirt when shooting prone.

I have 2@ 300 RUM (one custom by Kirby), a Kirby/lilja custom 338 & 375 RUM. After shooting my 375 RUM at the range one day, I switched to my factory original a-bolt stainless stalker 270 WSM and quickly got "magnum eye" and shoulder. I sent the 270, my other 300 RUM to Kirby for a Holland QD brake. All I can say is my 375 RUM kicks about the same as my .243 Win (it is heavier, sporting a 30" Lilja #8 contour)

The one I have on my 338 RUM looks like an extended part of the barrel with holes in it. It is not bigger then my barrel. I can screw it off also for hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
Which muzzle break gives maximum recoil reduction? I have a 338 Ultra that weighs in at 7 lbs and was wanting to give one a try.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
How could you even shoot that sucker with no recoil reduction? Ouch! There is also a risk of a detached retina in the eye from fierce recoil. A friend of mine suffered this from shooting his 338WM. My 338RUM got ported before I ever shot it. I know what a sporter weight 338WM kicks like from the bench, didn't want to know what the RUM would do!
Good luck in your search! ---Sam

I don't know if the VAIS brakes give max recoil reduction but the combination of recoil reduction and minimal increase in noise makes it the brake of choice for me. I also like the fact that there isn't any blast of gas back into my face (and scope lens) at each shot.

one bad thing about vais is that it has holes all the way around, which on big guns, when you shoot prone, kicks up a lot of dust, dirt, or little rocks. can damage your nice 1000 dollar scope lens. you should wear hearing protection anyways when using any kind of brake. I used the type that had 3 holes on top, and the sides, for a total of 9 holes, it was a score hi version, i think its comparable to the qd holland type. i'll be getting the qd holland type on my 300 rum for my long range rifle. my current 300 rum has no brake, and I shoot it fine. but i live in a sandy environment where the vais is not the choice for where i live, and i prefer to shoot prone over any other position.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.