Muzzle Brake

Themsah

So I recently purchased a R700 in .300WM. It has been to the range 3 times since I purchased it. Each time I come back sore and after about 10 rounds or so, it just isnt fun to shoot anymore. The recoil is bareable for a one shot hunting situation but TBH I mostly shoot at the range. I have decided this thing needs a brake.

I have a few questions and wanted some suggestions. I guess my main concern is how important is the style,manufacturer of the brake? Or are they pretty much all the same? The reason I ask is that my local gunsmith offers a brake that he designed seen here: Somarriba.com : Gunsmithing : Somabrake

So I am not sure whether to go with my local guy or if I would be better off going thru the hassle of ordering a well known brand (like a precision armament, or Hollands) and ultimately taking it to the same guy to get it installed.. Thanks for the input

That would be a good break for reducing felt recoil, but here is a little advice. If you shoot from the prone position or over the hood of a car you are going to be in for a big surprise. I changed to side discharge years ago on all my varmit and hunting rifles..

Not a fan of the brakes with holes all the way around. I do most of my shooting prone and these will kick up a lot of dirt and debris. I also don't believe that they are as effective as the larger port brakes. I have two of Kirby's Painkiller brakes (7mm RM and 338 Edge) and they are amazing. I am having a Holland installed on my 300 WM now.

I second not getting holes all around, sides and top only. In addition get a good recoil pad, pachmyar decelerator my preference, have it installed and make sure length of pull is correct for you, it does make a difference in felt recoil.

Brake design has quite a bit of difference in the amount of felt recoil and the nussiance of dirt kicking up when your shooting prone. My brake has angle slotted ports that give about as much braking surface as I could get and it has no holes on the bottom. They are built out of Titanium and add little weight when installed.

Attachments

• brakead.jpg
    brakead.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 89
Also if you get a brake with holes in the top be sure they are very few. I have a 22-250AI that I had a brake made with a lot of holes in the top and found it would force the front of the muzzle down so hard you would lose your sight picture. Had to tig 90% of them

I have the elk meadow performance - if you want no weight and a solid brake - go with this one. My 7 wsm recoils like a 223 - I was amazed

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.