Muzzle brake question

A hot rod revolver will definitely do better with a muzzle brake...the .458 mag rifle..not so much...

I have kicked the idea around on my 300 Win mag, but to me even with 2850 fps 220 SMK loads the recoil isn't objectionable...but it's a heavy brute with no intent to save weight when it was built..

My wife...usually doesn't shoot it, but occasionally a deer has shown itself... when I was at the cook stove making lunch (my wife burns water) and since my rifle is set up to shoot (line shack on the back section slide window open push rifle forward on bench till muzzle clears window sill), she has went and sent a round down range and she notices it a lot more than I do.

Note: we do wear hearing protection...muffs are situated all over the shack...so no one has to hold a shot while the other looks.

I have shot the AW rifles and do like the 2 baffle brakes they use and it wouln't be too much effort to thread the barrel and set one...but...I don't know...

Muzzle brakes for hunting rifles not good for the ears and not necessary for performance/accuracy since one or two shots is all you'll get at game usually. Target guns and shooting a different story, you're not readjusting position for repeat shots as much.
Some SMG's have not brakes but compensators to help prevent muzzle rise.
When you look at brakes on howitzers they have angled ports to maximize forward force. Many rifle sized brakes are only milled at 90 degrees to the bore (cost savings) which lowers their effect.
Brakes on howitzers were made to shorten recoil needed at higher elevations of shooting angles so you don't have to dig a deep trench for the breech. They do not aid in accuracy and only reduce/shorten recoil.
I have a brake on my AR .223, it came that way but only makes shooting it louder. Smaller cals do not have significant recoil to make brakes really worth the cost, like anything for sale, much is marketing, create a "want" or make one dissatisfied for not having one.
It's obvious many are just machined to look "cool" with no real R&D done.
I see most brakes they sell today as a fashion option, and like high heels can hurt with prolonged use. Looks cool but hate to shoot it. I don't see older generations running to have brakes installed on their firearms. Marketing aims at mostly the youth, and they believe "looks" is just as or more important than function. How many take of their brakes before shooting their guns? Brakes installed on Win Mod 70's and such only decrease value like the dial a duck compensators of the 60's, 70's did with shotguns. Modifying a firearm from original configuration usually does this.
I should get a "blast' for some of my views but then again the brake does give that "blast" that brakeless guns don't have.
I'd like to hear any comments on why brakes on hunting rifles could be a plus.
Always room to learn.

Brakes are definitely a plus on a hunting rifle. The recoil reduction from a break on a hunting rifle let's people enjoy shooting and practically eliminates flinching on a shot. Obviously for lighter calibers it's not as big of an issue but for the larger calibers and magnums I wouldn't shoot one without a brake. It lets people be more confident and makes people more accurate. When a rifle is enjoyable to shoot they'll shoot it more often and in turn usually be a better shot which is always important when harvesting game. I'm a hunter and although I may only get 1 or 2 shots on game that doesn't mean that's all I shoot during the year. I'm always tweaking a load or trying new bullets and loads to be as accurate as can be. Also breaks can make a rifle more accurate. They change the vibrations of the barrel and depending on the type of brake make them more consistent for where exactly the bullet leaves the barrel making it more accurate. It tightened up the groups in my 338 RUM shooting 250 grain accubonds but as also mentioned it lets you spot your shots which is very important at long range hunting if you miss as it allows you to make your adjustments so you can get that second shot.

The only way to get increased velocity is to contain the gases so they can continue to push the bullet after it leaves the muzzle, effectively acting like a longer barrel. That is why suppressors increase velocity. In a muzzle brake you try to get rid of the gases as soon as possible because gases lose velocity fast once they exit the muzzle and that gas velocity is part of what works to reduce recoil in a brake. So if he is gaining velocity his brake isn't working as effectively as it should. I'm pretty sure Kleinguenther used drilled hole brakes on their rifles. They probably had small through holes which contained the exiting gases far too much.

You will still get a fair amount of recoil reduction with a 458 using a good brake but there is so much primary recoil, due to bullet weight, that it will be quite a bit less compared to say a 300wm. I have a 458 Lott and a 460 Weatherby. When you shoot light bullets like 250's to 350's the recoil really isn't that bad. It's comparable to a 338 Edge with 300's. 500's and 600's suck unless your being mean to your friends and then you just have them shoot it without a brake.

Muzzle brakes for hunting rifles not good for the ears and not necessary for performance/accuracy since one or two shots is all you'll get at game usually. Target guns and shooting a different story, you're not readjusting position for repeat shots as much.
Some SMG's have not brakes but compensators to help prevent muzzle rise.
When you look at brakes on howitzers they have angled ports to maximize forward force. Many rifle sized brakes are only milled at 90 degrees to the bore (cost savings) which lowers their effect.
Brakes on howitzers were made to shorten recoil needed at higher elevations of shooting angles so you don't have to dig a deep trench for the breech. They do not aid in accuracy and only reduce/shorten recoil.
I have a brake on my AR .223, it came that way but only makes shooting it louder. Smaller cals do not have significant recoil to make brakes really worth the cost, like anything for sale, much is marketing, create a "want" or make one dissatisfied for not having one.
It's obvious many are just machined to look "cool" with no real R&D done.
I see most brakes they sell today as a fashion option, and like high heels can hurt with prolonged use. Looks cool but hate to shoot it. I don't see older generations running to have brakes installed on their firearms. Marketing aims at mostly the youth, and they believe "looks" is just as or more important than function. How many take of their brakes before shooting their guns? Brakes installed on Win Mod 70's and such only decrease value like the dial a duck compensators of the 60's, 70's did with shotguns. Modifying a firearm from original configuration usually does this.
I should get a "blast' for some of my views but then again the brake does give that "blast" that brakeless guns don't have.
I'd like to hear any comments on why brakes on hunting rifles could be a plus.
Always room to learn.

Being able to spot your hits has enormous value in any hunting rifle especially at long range.

Anything that reduces recoil and makes a rifle more tolerable and enjoy to shoot encourages more practice with the same rifle which is always a plus.

It was our generation that created and popularized the use of muzzle brake so I have no idea what "older generation" you are talking about.

Braked or not you should be wearing hearing protection period.

What are the effects of POI with or without the brake? Also does the brake reduce velocity?
Anything you do that changes a rifles harmonics has an effect on POI. Sight it in however with the brake and there's zero reduction in accuracy if it's made and installed right. You need a few thousandths clearance but that's it and the closer to caliber size the exit hole is the more efficient it will be since it will be directing more of the blast to the ports.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.