Murphy's Moose Hunt Video

Re: Murphy\'s Moose Hunt Video

Excellent shot. We need more details! Like how far, what caliber, and what bullet. Also Where was it taken.

Thanks d-a

Brent that rocked brother! Congrats. I love the unedited version......

Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Beautiful video Brent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Raise chin, stick nose out straight, stiffen legs, fold up, die instantly and then fall flat on ground. Perfect execution of shot and beautiful results. Thanks for the video and yes, relate the details: rifle, caliber, distance, bullet, shot placement etc. Was that an old road or skid trail he fell on? Looks like retrieval might have been fairly easy.

Dave, I must say, that was a fine choice of music /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My favorite band /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't get the audio, who was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Metallica /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Here's a post of mine from the other thread in case you didn't see it. The smaller file is a bit larger than I stated below, about 550 Kb, or 1/3 the size of the large one. The 100 Kb file I made up was way too small to really see well. The larger file here is still much better that the smaller one but, both are still 320x240 and more easily seen.

Dave,

I just sent you the video clip I made up. It's 1.7 megs, so it might take a few for guys on dial-up to load, and if anyone has problems I can format another one of the clip for dial-up users. I think this one is formatted for about a 380 Kbps download speed, and may look a little better. I'll go save a smaller file of it, about 100 Kb file at around 38 Kbps in case that works out better.

I'll fill you in on the rest of the story here after a bit.

All the 7mm fans will like this one especially.

This file is a Windows Media Player file BTW, so I'm not sure how it works with other media players. It does look good on the Windows Media Player though.

Please excuse Mike's language, he hasn't got a Moose for a few years and was fortunate enough to take this one the in last couple hours of light of the last day of season! I just barely got the video camera on him in time for this...

I had the choice of throwing a music track in there and Ride the Lightning was the only one I had saved on the computer... the only GOOD one anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The riff didn't seem to fit too well at first but, it grew on me so I left it in there and brought the volume on it down a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We were simply road hunting after work about 30 miles north, north-east of Nome AK. on the Nome-Taylor Hwy., the Kougarok road as it's called, near Salmon Lake, hoping we'd spot a bull, closer to the road the better.

We'd just passed and talked to some locals that were road hunting on their way back into town, so we were hoping they'd missed spotting something down the road behind them. I think we drove another 2-3 miles and low and behold there was a Moose off the right side of the road about 150 yards, just ahead of us about 400 yards when I stopped and ranged it.

I had my 27 lb. 30/338 Lapua Imp bench rifle in the back just in case a long shot was called for but, 400 yards was a little close considering my buddy Mike could easily take this Bull here, or especially if we got a bit closer. Mike asked me how much his 7 Mag drops in 400 yards as he got rested for a shot. I told him we needed to get a little closer if he wasn't sure, cause I wasn't familiar with the 7 Mag's trajectory enough to go there, not to mention his shooting skills were still completely up in the air in my mind. We got right up to 200 yards (LRF) and he got rested up and fired once as I went to turn the camera on! I could see the Bull move a bit but, neither of us were sure if Mike had hit him or not. I had just got zoomed in on the Bull and was trying to see if he was hit through the camera screen when Mike fired the kill shot you see in the video! He wasn't taking any chances of this Bull getting any further away, as the shots were probably less than 30 seconds apart. If you look closely in the video, you can clearly see the Bull holding up and moving his right front leg around a bit. I didn't even have enough time to see that part until later, after reviewing the video. I'm pretty sure Mike knew he'd hit him good with the first one but, just wanted him down... yesterday!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When we skinned the hide back over the ribs a bit where the hole was, there were two holes in the hide just over an inch apart, right behind the front shoulder!! Very interesting that the second shot had the dramatic effect it did when the first shot was basically in the same exact location and had only caused him to lift and shake a leg at that point.

I don't remember what bullet/weight he was using, some factory ammo he'd been shooting in it though.

We gutted him out, then after considering we had just our day packs and it was getting near 11pm, with work in the morning, and just 30 minutes back to town, we decided we'd better go back and get my Brother, our superintendent and our foreman to help get this thing to the truck. Everybody but my Brother was in the bar when I grabbed Murphy for a last minute hunt that evening, so we didn't know if they could even walk at this point.

Well, at least my Brother was able to walk upright and think straight, our super just hit the rack but was on his feet at the news, well sort of, for a while... We picked up our foreman at the bar, "barely" walking and happily lit, then went and rounded up every chain, rope, choker, strap we could find in hopes of hooking to that Moose with the truck.

We just made it to the Moose with all of it hooked together after we drug the Moose to the bottom of the little plateau he had collapsed on. My brother proceeded to see if he could hit 40 mph down the highway as the Bull was drug across a wet, swampy spot then through some 100 yards of 5" minus alder like a toy... looked like T-Rex ripping through the alder at him in Jurassic park! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got the Moose cut in half, wrestled into the truck and off we went.

Not much of a long range shot, or much real hunting involved in this one but we had a real good time git'n'er done!

Thanks for putting up the video clips, Dave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've seen the knees buckle on 'em, them spin into the dirt, start running and just loose their legs etc, etc, etc, but, I've just never seen one go down in the way this Bull did. Kind of unique I thought.

GG,

Just curious if the clip played in Windows Media Player for you, and why you didn't get any audio from it?

Which one of the clips did you download?

kwanjangnihm,

BTW, both clips were edited. Same exact clips, just different file size is all. Did one appear edited? How so I wonder?

I downloaded both with dialup and both worked with sound.

Harv,

Just curious but, did it take around 2 minutes to load the small file and 6-7 minutes to load the larger file on dial-up?

Yes, about that. I started the download and than did some other work on the computer. You get use to the sloooooooow downloads on dialup. I didn't see a difference between the two except download time. Should there have been?
Harv

Nice video, it always good to see'em drop like that. So did you go to work the next day or take a moose holiday?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.