Len's Alaskan moose hunt video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous LRH Video' started by Len Backus, May 7, 2008.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

In 1999 I took my son to Alaska as a college graduation present. Yes, we all have to sacrifice for our children. :) The outfitter was our new Sponsor, Wayne Kubat, owner of Alaska Remote Guide Service

It was a fly-in hunt within sight of Mount Denali. Everything was well done...food, tents, personalities, guiding quality. In fact, Wayne was one of the guides. The other was a retired Air Force Colonel named Charley. Great guy. In this video you can just make out the sound of my .416 Weatherby bullet impacting the 65 inch moose.

Both moose were called in using Wayne's patented "Bull Magnet" moose call. Amazing! They really work.

Wayne isn't outfitting moose hunts lately because of wolf depredation in this area. But he has some great Dall sheep and Grizzly/Brown bear hunts. Give Wayne a call at (907) 376-9568. Ask him about his LongRangeHunting.com member special pricing on hunts. He also sells very well produced moose hunting and calling videos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzcgCb79Tw"]Len's Moose Hunt - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Great looking bulls Len. Looks like you guys had a very successful trip.;)

3. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Nice moose's Len (anyone know what a plural moose is??). Looks like a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.

4. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

The plural of moose is moose although I had an Uncle that called more than one "meese".;);)

5. Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper Well-Known Member

Great moose Len, congrats. I'll get one of those big guys before i die ;)

6. akremote

akremote Member

Len's Alaskan moose hunt video.

Len, I've watched that video clip hundreds of times, but still enjoy it. That was a fun hunt with you, Andy and Charlie! I really miss moose hunting - not the packing - but dall sheep hunting is pretty awesome too. Recent predator control programs where I hunted moose, has helped, and a limited moose season in the next year or two could happen.
    Wayne Kubat dba Alaska Remote Guide Service

7. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

one of my recurring nightmares.....

...is walking up to a moose i had just shot, thinking.....oh my god! now i gotta pack this big SOB outta here!!!!!! luckily i wake up and remember we had horses to do the job....you just cant imagine how big they are until you are standing beside one. great video len......AJ

8. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

They are bigger than you can imagine until you've seen one up close on the ground. Wayne flew in a tracked machine (in parts) to handle game retrieval. I can't imagine it without in that terrain and vegetation.

I wish I could remember how long we heard it took Wayne's other hunter on this same trip to get his out...without the Yougo (sp).

9. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Excelent Moose and a great Video IMHO....

10. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

That is a very nice video and looks like you had a great time.

11. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Those were both great moose! Wow,, it's too bad that the wolves have taken such a toll on his operation, as that would be a great hunt for moose. Excellent video.

12. grit

grit Well-Known Member

The video caught my eye in the store a few days ago. Love, Thunder, and Bull was a very enjoyable video. Lots better than the little clip!

13. Ronster

Ronster Member

As an Alaskan resident, this video makes me want to go out and hunt wolves this winter gun)

Very nice Bulls! I've hunted bulls here for a long time and I can tell you that most residents will never take a bull that big. Congrats!

14. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

thanks for posting, brings back memories of my moose hunts. i can remember trying to drag one across a beaver dam with a 4 wheeler.of couse it slid off into the stream and i had to take a chain down and tie on the bike rack. i could never out swim Michael Phelps but i bet i could out shiver him when i came back out of the water!