Muley at 580 yards pics now

BCDeerWild

It's the second day of deer season, still snowing for the fourth day in a row which made counting points near impossible over four hundred away and I was hoping to get a deer over 500 this year. Got my cows fed by 4 O-clock and noticed that it was clearer than it had been so I fired up the truck, hustled the wife and 2kids out the door in record time, and off we go. Got to field that I knew some muleys had been coming out in and parked on the edge overlooking the far side that still had some oats standing. The wife grabbed the binos and said "theres some over there". I started digging out the rangefinder while she was looking them over. "There's horns" she said as she set up the spotting scope. I started ranging them as she was counting points, have to have 4 on a side minimum to be legal. " Two and three pointer" she said " what about those three coming in above them? " I asked, She moved over to them and started looking " four, and four, and four, they're legal." I got out and grabbed my rifle and rest to check them out. Set my rest up on the hood of the truck, laid the rifle on it and started looking. "the rear one looks heavier than the others, what do you think?" I asked my wife "it is" I grabbed the rangefinder and after a couple of minutes got 585 yrds off the willows 15 feet behind the deer. Pulled my drop chart out of the rangefinder case, 7.1 MOA for 580 so I dailed in 7 ( hair downhill ) and loaded her up. Chambered one and settled into my rest; "where is he?" I asked my wife. "second from the end" So I lined up on him and checked the falling flakes for wind, basicly nothing. The deer was standing broadside so I put the cross hairs behind the front shoulder halfway up and squeezed. Recoil pulled me off target so I dropped the sights back down hoping to see the impact, no luck. Asked the wife if she seen in "no I jumped" was her answer. The deer trotted down the field but he wasn't moving quite right so I waited and watched. After about 70 yards he stopped, then fell. " He's down, he's down" hollered the wife. I watched him for a couple more minutes to make sure he didn't get up then jumped in the truck and drove around to him. We drove up the edge of the field to him and there lay the nicest mule I have shot yet. The wife looked at him and said that ones going on the wall. 20.5 wide and 20 high with good mass. I rough scored him at 175 gross, final score 163 6/8. For my first long range deer I am really happy, whitetail would be better but I still have 2 weeks for that.

The rifle is a remington BDL 300 Weatherby with an A1 Optics 6-24x50 scope, my load is 82.6gr RL22 with a 178 A-MAX. Excellent performance, 3/4 inch in and 2 inch out and right where I aimed. Exit was the back edge of the shoulder so he was turned a bit.
0206.jpg
0106.jpg
0306.jpg

BC, thanks for sharing, it's great when a plan comes together. by the way your huntin buddies are a lot better lookin than mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice deer, congrats.

You're a luck fella to have the whole family come along and help on the hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.