Mule deer rut is a great thing to watch!

Ian M

Just back from a short mule deer hunt in SW Sask. Our first day, Monday, was a gift from our Creator. Perfect weather, two good buds, rifles shot the day before out to 800, hidden valley miles off any road, probably 60 mulies in the valley with one thing on their mind. I could have sat with the spotting scope and watched the goings-on all day. We spooked to a couple of other spots, equal activity but no shots. Walked up above the first valley, bucks running does all over. I had a couple of possible shooters out in front of me but no really good shooting setups. An hour or so before dusk we went to the west side of the original valley, immediately saw five or six bucks. Long story short, partner killed a very nice buck, 168 A-MAX at 540 yards with his .308 WIn. custom M-700. No pictures as light was going, he went down and field dressed the buck and we moved the truck all the away around to the east side and down into the valley to within a couple of hundred yards. Brought him out in the dark.
Next day rut was still going great, I saw two wonderful bucks, both fairly close, great enjoyment to see such fine critters. Both were in locations we could not hunt on - both seen while we were traveling from one ranch to another. Saw a bunch of bucks the second morning, then the weather went bad and although we stayed to the end of the day, things had pretty much quit because of the snow and rain and ugly wind. Although the season runs all week we both had other hunts to get ready for, had to pack it in this a.m. and come home. Sure was fortunate to experience the wonders of a hidden valley full of rutting mule deer - I was blessed.
I saw several nice 4x4 mulies that I could have dropped the .325 WSM hammer on, but I was not just there to bag a deer. Have killed a lot of big mulies in the past, I would only have shot at a real good one. No regrets about not shooting, too many great images going through the "replay" in my mind.
Any long-ranger hunters live in San Antonio TX?

Ian,

You are so right , it is a blessing to get to watch ,much less shoot, such goings on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif reminds me of a similar situation south of Delta , Colo. back when there were " hidden canyons " still there .cold front coming ,glassing fdrom a high ridge , little bucks standing around watching the " big boys " go at it. Special times for sure. Don't live in Texas but if you are passing through give a shout , we'll put you up ,feed you and send you on your way happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim B.

Jim,
I envy your living in Colorado, I have visited your state many times and it is one of the best. Thanks for the kind words.
ian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.