Moving to Over 1000

KeyserSosa

Ok, guys, I need some help. I am looking to move out a little further and bump it out to around 1000. My current rifle which I love I do not know if it is the norm or just a wild fluke.
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/FCSSWeatherWarrior
It is a Savage 16/116 FCSS with Savages Muzzle Break. It is a great shooting gun but I don't know if its an oddity and I just won the lotto with it. It holding .5 MOA at 100 with Berger load I put together.
So I will be stepping up to a 338 Lapua and trying to get the best bang for my buck. I looked at the Savage 11/111 LRH because I can have the same Muzzle Break but I am reading some bad review of Savage making me think I got lucky with the one I have.
So guys give me some good suggestions on this one. I will be packing this thing so trying not to go to heavy on the rifle so no target guns please. Willing to bump the price up to the 3s.

What caliber is your 16/116? I have one in 300wsm and is is very accurate. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage, but, I wouldn't get the LRH in 338 lapua. I would get a heavier rifle, like their 112 Target or 110 FCP 338 (I know you don't want to hear that). You will want a heavier barrel to get the long range accuracy. It Sucks packing a heavy gun but it is worth it knowing it will perform when needed. If 3K is you budget you have a lot of options, like a Christiensen with a carbon barrel.

What caliber is your 16/116? I have one in 300wsm and is is very accurate. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage, but, I wouldn't get the LRH in 338 lapua. I would get a heavier rifle, like their 112 Target or 110 FCP 338 (I know you don't want to hear that). You will want a heavier barrel to get the long range accuracy. It Sucks packing a heavy gun but it is worth it knowing it will perform when needed. If 3K is you budget you have a lot of options, like a Christiensen with a carbon barrel.
My 16 is in 300 WM.
As far as the Christiensens go I am seeing so bad reviews so kind of worried there. I have heard they are doing all their own barrels now so quality control is on them.

Wow, looking I might not even go with 338 Lapua. The 30 Nosler is a really nice round in those 210-grain bullets. If I sold my 300 Win that would make this way less painful. Lets see some recommendations for calibers as well. I will be using this for out of state hunts in the mountains. Most shots will be 600 or less but I might reach out to 1000. Hunting Mule Deer, Moose, Elk and Black Bear.

That is not and oddity. Savage is one of the better manufactures out of all the rest for stock guns. As mentioned in a previous post, I would not go with the 338 in the LRH. There just is not enough "meat" there to accomodate what you are after.

In my opinion, the 300wm is great out to 1000 yards with a 210 Berger or 208 Hornady. I shoot the 208 at 2940 fps and regularly shoot past 1000 yards. To get that velocity a 26" tube helps. I would just put some good glass on the 300wm and see what it will do for you.

your 300 win mag that you already have , will do everything you want , and you dont have to gamble with a new one ... but im not saying dont buy another one though

I'm betting the Savage LRH in 338 Lapua uses their larger action for this round. I can't imagine how they would do it in their standard long action. Having shot one of the heavier BA models in Lapua, I'd have no concerns with the action integrity.

With the lighter weight and short (26") barrel, you'll be neutering the big round somewhat. But it will still hit like a hammer at long range compared to a 30 caliber. If you want to go that way, do it, though I think a radial brake on a hunting rifle is a terrible idea. I would swap that out for one without bottom ports to blow stuff in your face when shooting from the ground.

Weight is part of the game when building a long range rifle. My Edge weights 14lbs complete and it's pretty lightweight by most standard. But it is easy to shoot accurately and consistent.

Pick up a box of 215hybrids for your current rifle. Get some lapua brass or RWS brass. These handle pressure better than domestic for higher pressure or far more loading at top end load pressure.
Broz just did a very informative test between the 30 Nosler and the 300wm. When he changed his standard 300wm load from H1000 to N570 he was able to duplicate the speed which was 3100fps in a 28" barrel
Why not try this route before you start over? Now if you want to live at the beyond 1k yardage then a 338 we will go.

Ok, guys, I need some help. I am looking to move out a little further and bump it out to around 1000. My current rifle which I love I do not know if it is the norm or just a wild fluke.
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/FCSSWeatherWarrior
It is a Savage 16/116 FCSS with Savages Muzzle Break. It is a great shooting gun but I don't know if its an oddity and I just won the lotto with it. It holding .5 MOA at 100 with Berger load I put together.
So I will be stepping up to a 338 Lapua and trying to get the best bang for my buck. I looked at the Savage 11/111 LRH because I can have the same Muzzle Break but I am reading some bad review of Savage making me think I got lucky with the one I have.
So guys give me some good suggestions on this one. I will be packing this thing so trying not to go to heavy on the rifle so no target guns please. Willing to bump the price up to the 3s.
I own one of those ll/111 338 Lapua rifles and it shoots amazingly. I quite regularly shoot to 1000 and beyond and will out shoot 338 Lapua's by different manufacturers all the time. It is more about your technique and load development than anything else. I do bed all my guns and lap the rings as well. You have to watch the heat a bit and can't go crazy when smacking steel, just wet a rag to cool down the barrel quicker but you will not regret getting that gun. Down the road you can change the stock if you want but the one that is on there works good. Savage makes very accurate rifles for the money and this rifle has a good twist ratio of 1:9. So that you can run the heavy 300gr. Berger and I highly suggest the Lapua brass with this gun too. I got a 1.5moa group at 700 yards with this gun the other day and sometimes get single holes at 100 yards. However for hunting I mainly use my 300wm for walking trips and I will pack the 338 if I don't have to go too far with it with the chance of a long shot. It bucks the wind way better and doesn't have as much spin drift as the 300 win mag. but they will both do the job just fine.

My 2 cents is that if you have a gun that you like thats shoots .5 moa DO NOT SELL IT !!! A topic that always comes up at hunting camps is the regrets that we all have from selling an accurate rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.