If you had to do it over

jtmoose

Being new to rifle hunting and building my first family hunting rifle (Short Action Stevens 200), what would you do differently if you were starting over? Specifically I'm in the process of choosing a new barrel and I'm thinking about what's most important...accuracy, availability of ammunition, common caliber across multiple household rifles (ie, 7-08 and 7RM), commonality of cartridge, etc.

My first build was a 338 lapua on a 700 action.. I would go 338 rum and make it a fluted #5. any barrel manufacturer is fine as long as they are reputable. if you reload cartridge selection isnt a big deal. with the stevens action you can make it a switch barrel easily so no pressure on choosing a cartridge

what do you want to kill and at want range? is recoil an issue? how much are you willing to spend? there are about 3 levels in my opinion, $1500, $3000, and $5000.

I just got done with my first build and since I do have other rifles already well suited to hunting, I went with something different. I built a 284 Win on a savage long action with a criterion 28" bull barrel. I wanted something that would be accurate out to 1000 and could be used for stationary hunting if wanted. If you have other hunting rifles, build something cool you wouldn't buy otherwise, just make sure you can find components and dies, those were my initial hangups, but got them solved.

I would like to hunt for everything here in WA at some point. Black tail, black bear, elk, moose, goat, sheep. Recoil is an issue because of a low budget and my family only having one rifle for everyone. Also, I have had multiple shoulder surgeries and target shooting gets un-fun quickly with recoil for me.

on your stevens short action, for a hunting rifle get the E.R. Shaw barrel kit and get a 308 or 7-08. good shots with good bullets will kill anything, and both of those can be easy to load or find bullets for. also relatively light recoil with decent low recoil offerings if necessary. that action, Hogue overmolded stock and a good 3-9 scope and you're ready to go, simple cheap and effective

I have 2 savages built up custom, a 6.5/284 and a 280AI. Both have brakes, neither recoils much to speak of. Plenty of downrange energy for any of the animals you listed.

Being new to rifle hunting and building my first family hunting rifle (Short Action Stevens 200), what would you do differently if you were starting over? Specifically I'm in the process of choosing a new barrel and I'm thinking about what's most important...accuracy, availability of ammunition, common caliber across multiple household rifles (ie, 7-08 and 7RM), commonality of cartridge, etc.
A platform that has good aftermarket support.

At least 3 different calibers to cover the gamut from small game and varmints to big game. There are no magic calibers which will "do it all" for every circumstance.

Calibers for which ammunition and components are readily available. Nothing ruins a hunt of a lifetime like getting where you're going and finding out that somewhere along the line you got separated from your custom caliber ammo that cannot be replaced.

You don't have to sacrifice accuracy to achieve all of the above.

I would like to hunt for everything here in WA at some point. Black tail, black bear, elk, moose, goat, sheep. Recoil is an issue because of a low budget and my family only having one rifle for everyone. Also, I have had multiple shoulder surgeries and target shooting gets un-fun quickly with recoil for me.

you might be in a little bit of a bind, but I would think that the 7mm mag would be a good choice as well.

and I know I am going to start yet another discussion here, you could dip to a 6.5 long action of some flavor and have less recoil if your shot placement is good, but that means you are going to need to spend closer to the $3000 range for a good setup.

my 6.5 suggestions would be the 6.5-06 (which loaded ammo is now available through mail-order mostly but not at Wal-Mart) the 6.5-285 is a very popular round now that is fairly available at Cabela's and such like.

and then there is the 270. this would be a good choice as well.

on all of these though, if you plan to have wife, kids shoot and with your shoulder issues, a break and heavy barrel is a MUST.

one more thing to make this a marathon post: you might try a thumbhole stock. when you fire a rifle with a thumbhole, your hand take a certain amount of recoil. some guys don't like them because they say after 20-30 rounds, their hand starts to hurt, but then that should be a good thing for you because you are saving your shoulder. just a thought on that.

I stopped by a few places last night to see what's available for ammunition locally, .308 at all three, 7-08 at two of three, 6.5 Creedmoor at one of three, and .260 at one of three. For reloading; .30, 7mm, and 6.5mm were available at one and another carried .30 and 7mm. Even though the 308 is the most available, the availability of high quality ammo wasn't any better or worse for any.

The mags and long actions would require me to sell the action I have and start over, not a huge deal but I'd rather keep going with the short action. I didn't really notice any short mag ammunition anywhere... Not even sure I could make a short mag work for my action... Could I? Should I?

Knowing what I know now, I simply wouldn't start over. I think I'd stick to video games or trail riding or something.

However not starting would:

Not result in gleaning information from those down to earth folks who are chiming in on your thread. There is a wealth of experience and information from them.

Not result in meeting, hunting, and shooting with some of the greatest folks that exist on this great earth.

Not enjoying time, trials, trails and experiences with friends and family.

Not being able to make a 1600 yard shot on a rock with a reasonable expectation of a spot on hit.

Not being able to take a nice cow elk at 157 yards with a fence post as a rest.

Not seeing several world class mule deer bucks and being smart, learned it here, enough to NOT take the shot.

Not having the pleasure to go through the thought processes you are undergoing.

Would have missed much of a meaningful life.

If I were to restart, knowing what I do now, I'd do exactly what you are doing. The advice being given will get you there faster with more satisfactory results than any other method. And I've tried a bunch. :rolleyes:

If you want to stay with your short action, the 7mm-08 would be my first choice. Low recoil, available ammo (just buy in quantity so you always have some), superior ballistics to the 308 with same weight bullet. Get a 1 in 9 twist barrel to keep your options open with the heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.