6.5 -06 What do you like about it?

I have a 6.5-06ai the bc in the 140 grain bullets are great for long range shooting with the ai I don't have to trim brass any more. embork

Light recoil. No brake and 30rounds in a session is no problem. Decent brass availability. I'm pushing 140's close to 3000fps so it's flat shooting.kills animals well. Bruce

What barrel lengh is yours....................Im thinking about the Cooper Jackson Hunter or the Excaliber........24in 1x8

Can you form the brass from the 30-06 Lapua brass?

I run a 24 inch 8.5 twist tube with 57.7 h1000 and 210 primers at 2980 ish with 140 Bergers and a little less powder with 140 partitions at almost the same speed. Necking up 25-06 brass is the way to go. No trimming needed just clean up the necks a bit and debur new brass. I have had no problems with win brass. Low recoil and easy to load for and find a load.
Be sensible about about bullet choice and I would have no problem hunting elk with mine.
I had a reamer made up off from my brass and am having a second one built with a 26 inch tube for target shooting.
Love the 6.5-06

I have a 6.5-06 AI built by Kirby Allen. It sports a 26" barrel with a 1 in 8.5 twist. Although that barrel was chosen to shoot the 140 gr. bullets, it never liked them. I went with the 130 gr. AB running 3,150 fps. Ballistically. about the same as the 140 gr at slightly slower speeds. I recently transitioned to the 160 gr. matrix at 2,950 fps. More hitting power down range with slightly better wind bucking capabilities. IMO, still a little light for elk, but it could be done. Absolute hammer on deer/sheep.

Your getting almost 3,000 with the 140? How do you like the Berger bullets for hunting purposes?

I talked with someone that has the Ackley 6.5-06 ................I would guess that you could get 100+ FPS increase.

I can get almost 200 FPS increase from my .243 AI............

I have always been fasinated with the 6.5-06 and I see that Cooper offers it in their rifles

G

I would be surprised if you picked up 100 fps with the ackley version. I was a little over 3000 during load development but my accuracy was around 2980. I have only shot small deer with the 140 Berger but it worked fine. I haven't used it close up just out where impact velocity was about 2100 fps, no shoulder shots as I wanted as little meat waste as possible. I put them just behind the shoulder and the deer almost look as if nothing really much happened at first then they basically just drop. Decent size exit hole with lots of damage inside.
This is with the hunting vld

I used the 95gr VLD Hunting in my .243AI My son shot a Black Bear and it dropped in its tracks. 2x3" entrance hole no exit but it tore up the lungs.

Seem everyone likes them yet they do the opposite of a bonded bullet .......

G

I think the 6.5-06 is fine for elk. You will have a lot of people tell you to use .30 caliber or bigger. Here is some hard data. I have a friend that has killed between 50 and 100 elk. He uses a .270 with a 130 grain bullet. I have personally taken close to 30 elk. Most of those have been with a .27caliber with a 140-150 grain bullet. The 6.5 with a 130-140 gr bullet is essentially the same as the .270. It is VERY slightly smaller diameter, but it has better sectional density. That means it can penetrate deeper with an similar bullet to the .270. There are a number of people on here that have good success with the 6.5's killing elk. Bullet placement is the key. After having said this I will tell you that I will likely use my new 7 SAUM on elk this year. I plant to use the 6.5-06 on deer and antelope. Its a fine caliber that is pleasant to shoot and relatively easy to reload for. I really like mine. Bruce

Bruce

Where do you live ?

With good bullet placement from your .270 what is the senario when hitting an Elk, Have you ever lost one even with a well placed Bullet or had to track one for a great distance.................Your experiance and your freinds make for some hard facts.

G

I have lived in Gillette Wyoming for the last 26 years. Before that mostly Idaho. I do want to also make you aware that my elk would mostly be "short range" for this web site. Usually under 300 yards. Same for my friend. I have only lost one elk that I hit. My fault. I rushed the shot and made a poor hit. Very little blood. Not one of my better moments. I can't honestly say whether a bigger caliber would of made any difference in that instance. I guess if you hunt long enough your going to make a mistake.
I have never had a long blood trail to follow. Usually had them down in 50 yards or less. I would have to ask my friend about his. Likely similar to my experience. Well hit animal is dead with a .270.

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.