Move over 6.5 Creedmoor something New is Coming Thru ...

Is Creed II good for you too ?

• Total voters
Have one of each, so I didn't vote. Both great rounds with some overlap in the middle of their intended purpose. For straight steel shooting I like the 6, for a hunting round on bigger deer and possibly elk the 6.5 would get my vote.

I've been trying to decide between the two or 6.5prc in a new rifle. I'm new to long range shooting so trying to learn all I can!

I have a friend that I shoot with and he shoots a 6.5 Creed. while I shoot my
6mm Creed. we both like to reload our own ammo. and so far the 6mm has been shooting tighter groups than the 6.5mm at the 100 & 200yd targets but the 6.5mm seems to be doing better beyond that.
I would think that a 6.5 prc would do really good for the Long Range shooting.

Last edited:
I personally love both cartridges. I believe the 6mm Creedmoor is a solid, modern, cartridge that cleans up a lot of the past 6mm cartridges. It fits in a short action like a .243 and can be loaded to nearly equal the 6mm Remington. The 6mm Creedmoor can be used for varmints, predators, and light skinned game. It's also an awesome competition cartridge and is very accurate.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is another cartridge I feel does a lot. It's short, modern design fits in short actions with heavy for caliber bullets. It's also supported very well by ammo and rifle manufacturers. Factory ammo and SAAMI spec reamers are designed around these new style bullets. Yes there's other rounds that are nearly identical, but none of them have the factory support and none of them were designed from the ground up to be the maximum effort short action 6.5 cartridge utilizing modern bullets. I think the 6.5 is better for hunting medium sized game and takes over where the 6mm leaves off. I think the 6.5 is better for someone who plans to hunt deer more than varmints. I don't think either one of them is a replacement for the other. I think they both can do separate stuff better than the other, but I feel they both have their own place.

Good info. We have some guys that hunt feral hogs for us weekly and they all swear by the 6.5 creed. I will probably end up going that way I just want to do my due diligence before buying another rifle.

How is factory ammo availability of the 6mm compared to the 6.5mm? Im sure it can all be bought online fairly easily but thinking more of your local sporting goods store stock?

I have loaded for a lot of different 6.5CMs. Several custom, and even some factory rifles. Seems like they have all been accurate and easy to load for using quality bullets, powder, primers and brass.
That being said, I do not own a 6.5CM.
I did have a 6CM built last year, and have shot it out past 1500 yards. Plus, I just got back from a NM pronghorn hunt, where it performed perfectly.

How is factory ammo availability of the 6mm compared to the 6.5mm? Im sure it can all be bought online fairly easily but thinking more of your local sporting goods store stock?

I've been able to get 6mm Creed. Hornady Brass and Bullets for reloading and they have some factory ammo for it also at our LGS ... Sportsman's Warehouse ... But it's limited at times , there probably is more available for the 6.5 Creed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.