Mountains of Virginia

YoungSquire

My name is Matthew and I'm from the mountains of Virginia. I am completely new to long range shooting/hunting. However, I have been hunting since I was able to walk behind my father. I've been an avid houndsmen chasing bear and hogs in many eastern states and Canada. Following a pack of hounds is one of my favorite pastimes.

I'm recently went back to college to take the prerequisites for medical school and will be applying to medical school this coming spring. Hound hunting is not a sustainable hobby (obsession) to pursue while in medical school, so I have decided to pursue another interest of mine, long range shooting/hunting.

To start in the endeavor of long range shooting I recently purchased a Remington model 700 long range .300 Win mag. As of yet I only have the rifle. Due to my inexperience in long range shooting I am open to suggestions as to what my first steps should be in building my long range gun. I am undecided as to the base, rings, scope etc...I will equip the rifle with. I'm in the process of researching what best will fit my situation.

Currently, the biggest limitation to my set-up is funds. This definitely plays into my choices. In regards to what I refer to as long range, I hope to at some point reach out to 1000 yards. I know this is not going to happen over night but I'd like to work up to this. I'm lucky enough to have a power line running through my back yard that I can use as a range which gives me a little over 1,000 yards to shoot.

I look forward to meeting others interested in long range shooting/hunting and picking your minds. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.