Most Wicked Long Range Wildcat Debate!

As an avid gun-nerd; im all for anything that shoots nomatter the weight, color, or size; from 17 hornet to heavy-*** 50 bmg. But when it comes to hunting idaho; there are some things to consider. As far as "practicallity" goes; and especial since i live in ID (16 lbs weight restriction) my 2 cents goes to my 338 Khan (338-378 improved). Many of the extreme lr magnums out there are based off the 505 gibbs (ie any chey-tac variant such as allen magnums or baer mags) and to me, that would required a new reloading press and such, a big heavy action, and the barrels associated for such performance demands. Unless you have the money to dish out for carbon fiber components, all that metal will add up to something that youll feel after a few days of hard hunting.

My particular set up is built on a trued rem 700 action, standard fill mcmillan a-5, 31" barrel of a medium contour, light weight rings & mounts and good glass all under the 16 lbs weight limit. Plus i can use my billon 550 press still.

Performance is amazing. My loads is probably about 90-95% of max with 113.3gr of h50bmg under a 300gr vld that just kisses the lands. Low es as h50 is an "extreme" powder. 3110fps with a .8 g1 bc!!! Its cheaper than a lapua yet out-perfoms it by a large step.

Just my opinion on the subject, i think a 338 edge/ terminator would be a great outfit as well. Shawn carlock is based here in idaho so his builds have that sense of practicality im talking about. Happy hunting to all this year!

My vote for a current wildcat would have to be the 510 Maximus. There isn't much that a .508 G7 750gr won't put down at 2950fps (29" or 30" barrel, not sure). The .585 Maximus definitely grabbed my attention though:Dgun)

Pretty happy with my 300AX! Pushing 200Gr accubonds 3340 with a mild load and a 26" barrel. Down the road I plan on moving to a 30-32" barrel and hope to push 230 Berger's to 3300+fps.

Pretty happy with my 300AX! Pushing 200Gr accubonds 3340 with a mild load and a 26" barrel. Down the road I plan on moving to a 30-32" barrel and hope to push 230 Berger's to 3300+fps.

WOW! That is smokin' fast. How many rounds are you (realistically) hoping to reach for accurate barrel life?

I think I'd like to know more about it before I form an opinion. It's a beast that's for sure. Wonder how it compares to the 375VM

Hmmm, Fishbox woke this sucker up. Thank you sir.

My last posts were back towards 2012. Wow time is flying by.

Since then Hammer Bullets has developed a 395 grain. Hammer Hunter.

The bc of this monster is quite close to their published value. I've only gone to 1125 with it so far but headed for 1660 then 1 mile and beyond as soon as hunting season is over.

I push it ahead of RL-50 to 3125 FPS/MV ES single digits. No kidd'n:) There is more velocity to be gained but I'll settle for the 3125 and the exceptionally low, for me, ES.

Group size is continually less than with the 350 SMKs which hung right around the half MOA mark out to that 1125 distance.

Terminal performance is indescribable. At 1125 she completely obliterated my darn well designed media container. It did more damage at 1100+ than the 300 Berger at 2735 out of the 338 RUM which it reached 300 yards. I was duly impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 62
Terminal performance is indescribable. At 1125 she completely obliterated my darn well designed media container. It did more damage at 1100+ than the 300 Berger at 2735 out of the 338 RUM which it reached 300 yards.

"Hammer" should have been the clue Roy. As with plastic explosives, back away twice as far as you'd normally dare touch it off... :D

After reading one of the post I don't see how the 338-378 weatherby improved is cheaper to shoot than a 338 Lapua improved. Bullets cost the same powder is more in the weatherby, and brass is more expensive in the weatherby...Am I missing something..

Am I missing something..

If you are, I'm missing it also. I used to own and shoot a 338-378 20 years ago. Weatherby brass was expensive and soft, so the primer pockets expanded before a guy could realize the full potential of all that case capacity.

If you are, I'm missing it also. I used to own and shoot a 338-378 20 years ago. Weatherby brass was expensive and soft, so the primer pockets expanded before a guy could realize the full potential of all that case capacity.

I wonder what all would be involved in having a quality brass manufacturer (Bertram or others?) make a run of 378 Weatherby brass?

1) minimum "run" needed?
2) price per 100?
3) turn-around time?

In my VERY humble opinion, a 338 caliber with case capacity equal to (or slightly more!!!) than the 378 Weatherby bridges the 338 Edge/338Lapua to 338 SnipeTac/338 Allen very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.