Most accurate? 22-250 or the new Ruger 204? OR other suggestions?

superlite17

Hi everybody, and thanks for your time! I know for many of you this may seem a REAL ignorant question, but I am relatively new to really long range hunting and am just learning/trying to understand coeficients etc.

I have 7 mag and pretty much hunted big game, but found I always love trying to dial it in with loads etc. at range. Anyway, i want to get a SUPER ACCURATE, high velocety rifle to enjoy at range, plink, and varmint some. But, while I understand little about coeficients etc. I want to buy the MOST consistantly repeatable accurate rifle calibre that I can... and let my learning curve, knowledge of powder/grain etc catch up WHILE having fun with it.
I do know some rounds are much more accurate than others, i do not know why, well i do know why to an extent, physics would indicate more aerodynamic etc, less drag would be better, i just do not really understand it. I know this has been proven, but cannot find ANYWHERE that the calibres are listed as to which in the Varmint range would, or should, all other things being equal be the most accurate round. Can any of you help me with this? What I want is which round theoretically would be the most accurate in the varmint sized guns?

PLEASE overlook my ignorance, and help me out!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank You Graciously - Rod

I think you will find that any caliber can shoot equally. Some are better for bench rest type precision. You will find that the 20 caliber is somewhat limited by bullet selection. My personal favorite is the swift. I am sure some of the benchrest guys will chime in and theoretically I think the 6br or the ppc's are the best, but are not going to give you the same velocities that the swift 250 or 204 will.

What, can't vote for all three? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You should get each one of those listed plus a couple others just for giggles. Then shoot each one and decide for yourself. They all have wonderful places on the range, PD town and in a safe. Now, on the practical side...monetarily speaking.... Wait, who said you had to be practical.

Maybe it is the guy behind the trigger and not the caliber, just maybe. All things being equal it would be tough ,especially when the wind isn't blowing 20mph, to beat the .204 in a pd town shooting all day. Very low recoil, doesn't burn alot of powder and just decimates the critters. Personally own a 22-250, just so you know, a couple friends have went the .204 route. Also have a couple guys showing up with them at rifle league too.

If you can extract anything here, its to have more than one setup in your arsenal.
1kstr

Get a 22 or 6mm BR. Either one will serve you well. The 6BR will get you out to 1k and beyond with bullet selection out of a 1:8 twist barrel.

If you are wanting to stay inside of 500 yards, use a 1:10 barrel with 6BR and shoot 88/90 gr Bergers and don't look back. The 22 BR is neck and neck with the 6BR in this range class, but a 6BR can shoot a 55 gr NBT much faster than a 22BR can. The 6mm version has a higher bc too; that's a win:win situation!

.50 Allen Magnum....

ummmm, what? Brown bears aren't varmints???

SINCE WHEN???

web page Or if you want to go to the next level.... web page
Either of these will give better accuracy, burn less powder and give equal or better velocity,
Cdog.

First question is , Do you reload?

If you do then I vote for the 6mmBR , like it was mentioned before it will shoot a higher BC 55gr bullet than the
22-250 and burn less powder , and have longer barrel life and if you had the gun build then get a 1-8 twist so you can shoot long range with it and after a few thousand rounds you can set the barrel back a bit and rechamber to say a 243 Ai with will shoot flatter and hit harder.

Don't reload?

I'd say the 22-250 would be a good choice , not because the caliber itself is more accurate but their are alot more offerings to choose from in the factory loaded area which will allow you to make a better hunt for the load thats most accurate in your gun , each gun is gonna like differant loads better you have to try alot somtimes to find one that makes your gun shine.

Give us a little more info about your self and what it is your looking to do like is this gun gonna be off the shelf or built to your specs , do you reload , what kind of varmints do you plan to shoot and at what ranges.

Welcome and don't worry about asking dumb questions as their are no "dumb" questions , some guys might make a comment about using the search function before asking a question because it may have been asked before several times , but we all know that can be hit or miss.

all of the calibers listed can be made to shoot. Get a good smith and they can almost get anything to shoot bugholes. If I was you I would look into a 243 if you dont reload and if you do then I would look into the 6mm's of any sort really. The 6br is supposed to be good along with the ppc, 243, 243ai, and if you really want some speed look into the hot rod 6-284, 6-06imp, etc. all depends on what you want to do with it. The only problem with the 6-284 etc is that you're barrel wont last long if you do alot of pilnking with it.

This is a question I have seen boys get in a real arguments over. 220 swift "no"22-250"no" 220 swift.
If you plan to reload I like the swift I really like it you you are building a rifle for it because you can make it a 1:8 and shoot the heavier bullets like the 69 sierra.as well as make it a ackley improved this is nice because the worse thing about the swift is the case growth the ackley eleminated this. If you are using a factory gun and factory ammo I would go with the 22-250 but in all reality I would go with the 204 because I haven't owned one and I would like to but that is just me. I do like one you didn't mention and I use it to great accomplishment on P-dogs, the 223 rem.all small cal are pretty accurate have fun.

Thanks ALL! Yes i will reload... later, once i get dies, etc. At first, i will most likely order from somone.

I want to use target, PD, Coyote, Beaver, small to mid size game.

It is interesting some mention 6mm BR as i read somewhere that with BC and all those things i know nothing about, that it is supposed to be capable of providing the best accuracy. But I do not see how, as i cannot find ballistics that show the kind of speed as say 22-250 or 304, I do want accuracy, with as little drop as possable.

Thanks... keep it coming, you are ALL the best!

22-250's were used in Bench rest a long time ago untill the advent of .222 rem which did very well untill the advent of the PPC line of chambering. The 6mm BR wil driv a 55gr bullet faster than a 22-250 will drive a 55gr will, with better barrel life. all of the others can be made to shoot well in a good custom barrel and action job. It all depends on what you want in barrel life,accuracy or preformance.

Do any of the rifle makers produce a 6mm BR varmint (heavy barrel)??? For that matter I cannot find ANYONE chambering it. You are right, the ballistics i find are excellent, but where can i get one???

Thanks Again!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.