MOre rookie questions on ultramag

raisincenter

Is the 300smk too long for he 338rum? Is the twist fast enough in it? Can you expect reasonable accuracy out of off the shelf gun? Or does everything need replaced? I can understand replacing a trigger, bedding, etc. But will these remington barrels shoot? Are their chambers too loose or good to go? thanks that's all. for now.

Answers:
1) Probably not too long but maybe too heavy. 250s are super and a 275 may be better yet but haven't tried any. May have to step up to the 338 Edge for the 300gr bullets.

2) Twist will probably work

3) Yes

4) No not anything needs to be replaced. But I would strongly consider lapping the lugs, a trigger job and if the bolt face has rings/grooves I'd get them removed.

4a) A good pillar and skim bedding job would sure help.

5) Rem barrels will shoot. 338 Win - sub half inch groups. Same rifle w/338RUM take off bbl - right around 1/2 inch groups with a 250 gr bullet @ 3000 vs 2800 in WinMag.

6) Chambers are good. No need to turn necks other than to even them out for uniform neck tension.

The downer is brass. Way too soft in the webbing. If I could figure out how to make 338 RUM cases out of any kind of Winchester brass, I would jump on it in a minute.

Good question

But there are no good answers.

Any factory rifle can shoot well so try it first.

If it doesent try these things in order of magnitude( Cost)

Try different amo (brands & bullet weights)
Bed the action & float the barrel.
If this did not improve accuracy try to find a trusted gunsmith and ask him to check headspace,bolt lug engagement
and recrown.

This should be very inexpensive (Under a 100 dollars)

At this point if you decide to rebarrel everthing but the recrown was money well spent.

You may have a shooter and rebarreling would not be nessary

There are a lot of good shooters on this website PLEASE HELP RAISIN OUT:

J E CUSTOM

My main concerns are if I have to change everything then why buy the factory gun. But, if the factory gun will shoot then I will just give it a try. From the replies so far it sounds like some will but not 100% and there is lots of things you can do to improve it before rebarreling. Thanks for the info. you can keep it coming.

raisincenter,

I have not shot the 300 gr SMK in my 338 RUM but the lighter bullets from 200-250 gr weights shoot very good.
I have a 700LSS with a VXIII 2.5x8 and M1 dials.
[image]
JD700LSS.jpg
[/image]

If I do my part, the rifle will shoot sub .5 MOA.
[image]
338RUM250grPT.jpg
[/image]

Hope this helps.

JD338

Is the 300smk too long for he 338rum? Is the twist fast enough in it? Can you expect reasonable accuracy out of off the shelf gun? Or does everything need replaced? I can understand replacing a trigger, bedding, etc. But will these remington barrels shoot? Are their chambers too loose or good to go? thanks that's all. for now.
I have a .300 RUM and it shoots better than I had hopped right out of the box. But now that the ammo is SOOOO expensive, I don't shoot it that much anymore. I used Ed Presswitch's load data with the 180 grain Berger VLD match bullet at a hair under 3,300 FPS! I won more money with that gun-load than the .50 Cal guys did at the local UNK-RNG Matches. The flat trajectory made for more hits in less time than the slower but heavier bullet guys at close to medium ranges. And if you think you can dope the wind better with a .50 at longer ranges, you are delusional.