Moose Hunt 2021

Rick Michael

Looking for caliber recommendations for an upcoming moose hunt next year. My choices are 300 win mag vs 6.5 creedmoor vs .308. Maximum range will likely be 300 yards or less. Thanks for your response!

Looking for caliber recommendations for an upcoming moose hunt next year. My choices are 300 win mag vs 6.5 creedmoor vs .308. Maximum range will likely be 300 yards or less. Thanks for your response!
A moose is a big animal and no such thing as too dead. I would use your 300 win with at least 180,s and preferably 200 grain bullets. If you shoot factory rounds I would suggest either the 172 or 200 federal terminal ascent.

I know a family that kills moose routinely with a 25 year old Browning 30-06.

The fellow's wife has been known to take them with Lever Evolutions out of a bolt action 30-30.

Good Bullets with Great Shot Placement & enough energy will do the job well.

My vote would be 30-06, a 280AI, or if you just want to use what you have, a .300 WM.

Welcome!

I'm really surprised at the lack of answers since asking for suggestions regarding cartridges and bullets usually garners several dozen answers. Although the poison answers for the 6.5 Creedmoor might have something to do with it. ;)

Most of the variables revolve around your abilities to 'make the shot' given the potential for a wide variety of situations which may occur. You can answer that for yourself.

The realistic answer is the .300 Win. Mag. which is well suited to harvesting a larger deer such as the moose. It will have more energy from a greater selection of bullets. Even though the newest whiz-bang bullets are tempting, the standardized never fail Noslers and Swifts will perform as advertised. If you really have to have one of the newest sensations then talk to the folks at Hammer bullets.

Enjoy!🙂

Of the cartridges you posted I would most certainly use the 300 WM. In the last 20 yrs I have been involved in appx 42 moose kills.(In one way or another). A moose is not high strung like a deer and is not the hardest animal to kill, BUT if you hit it wrong it will turn to steel and take you to the dirtiest places you could imagine. In those 20 yrs I mentioned there were a few lost moose. Always a 308 Win. JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts